GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: violently stiff door break

Default violently stiff door break

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...29&hg=41&fg=45

Ive noticed my backseat passenger door break was missing its pin (part#4). Noone uses that door, so I havent sweated it but I finally decided to replace it. Now i know why it was missing. The brake arm (part#2) is functional, but is so violently, poppingly stiff that it sounds like the door is breaking as the arm extends and retracts into place. Its seem the PO just took the pin out to avoid the noise rather than fix it.

I tried removing door panel to access it (very limited) and have tried sessions of deep creep lube and a silicon lube and coated it down heavily to see if it loosened up. No dice. Is a full replacement of the whole assembly necessary or does someone have a recomendation here?

thanks

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick a$$....and Im all outta bubblegum..." - Rowdy Roddy Piper

You will probably have to replace the assembly. There are rollers inside that in your case are probably frozen in place. The door brake is a known weak spot on the doors. Your stiff brake can actually rip the metal to which it is mounted so beware! That repair would be expensive. You can try getting one from a local salvage yard if yours is beyond repair. It appears to only be mounted with screws from the outside. Unscrew it and see if it comes out. If it does, you can then attempt to lube/clean/repair it.

I'd buy a new door brake (not that expensive) and install one of these --

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/prodd...sp?prod=DRPE32

Bad door brakes will do sheet metal damage...

my drivers door now opens (and swings freely) with virtually no resistance at all.I think i heard some small clink and something fall INSIDE the door the other day....whats happened?
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Kalevera
    I'd buy a new door brake (not that expensive) and install one of these --

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/prodd...sp?prod=DRPE32

Bad door brakes will do sheet metal damage...
    I second the Koala motor sports part. I have installed them on all four of my doors. The metal at that point is really thin and I know that the fronts doors at least are prone to cracking. I also think the stainless brace looks really nice, its very clean installed.
    Johan