GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New suspension install, rear end feels bouncy

Did you cut down the bump stop in the rear end?

Did you replace the sway bar links?

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    does anyone have a picture of the stock bumpstops, so I know what to look for ? I assume they are at the top of my shock - since the bilstein's have internal once, there is no risk that I will mistake the stock bumpstops for the new ones that I shouldn't be able to see, correct?
    As you said there are internal bumpstops, so no adjustments can be made. YOu cannot use the stock foam bumpstops. There could be several reasons why you have this feeling. First, you are not use to it. Second, give the suspension a month to settle in. Third, you said there might be some mismatched issue, perhaps rear steering and that signifies perhaps bad pitman arms (dog bones)....even if you recently replaced them, check to see if the boots are bad. Fourth, could be a combination of sorts. Good luck with finding the reason.
    Brandon J

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    dogbones were replaced at the same time as the shocks - one week ago. maybe it's my tie rods...

it IS possible to still use the stock bumpstops with bilstein shocks....they just need to be trimmed. mine are still there, but are not trimmed.

the not used to it thing is something i have considered as well, but on my other lowered cars, i never had this issue.
    You just solved your culprit. Stock bumpstops will fit, but should they should not be with Bilstein Sports. You should leave the stock bumpstops out. You are riding on your bumptops on bumps and limiting shock travel.
    Brandon J

Default New suspension install, rear end feels bouncy

so i've installed a new suspension: eibach lowering springs and bilstein sports all around. I replaced the upper rear shock mounts, dogbones and the spring pads all around as well. The suspension is much, much firmer than before.

Since the install, at highway speeds when I cross things like expansion joints or bumps the rear end feels a bit out of control - a lot of up and down motion that was not present before the change. Is this normal? i need to replace the tie rods in the front, and they are on order, but I don't think this can relate to the feeling I am getting from the rear. Is it possible that my new suspension is revealing some previous weakness in my car that I was not aware of?

any help would be appreciated.

Is it your body that is experiencing the up and down motion or is it the car?

I've been in my friends skyline with coil-overs at the stiffest setting before he got bucket seats and i thought we were going to die....

After he got the bucket seats i thought we could make any corner.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

it literally feels like the rear end is not following the front. This only occurred after I had the car aligned and the shop loosed the front tie rods to do so - the center link and tie rods all need to be replaced. Is it possible that this looseness in the front is contributing to the out of control feeling at highway speed in the rear?

That sounds to me like what people say happens when your rear subframe bushes are shot. Probably are noticing it now because of the new suspension parts aren't worn and have no slop in them. And your old parts probably had a bit of slop in them that hid the subframe bush problem.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966
    That sounds to me like what people say happens when your rear subframe bushes are shot. Probably are noticing it now because of the new suspension parts aren't worn and have no slop in them. And your old parts probably had a bit of slop in them that hid the subframe bush problem.
    rear subframe bushings were replaced when I purchased the car 1.5 years ago. I thought it could be that too, but it seems far too early for them to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Did you cut down the bump stop in the rear end?

Did you replace the sway bar links?
    Sway bar links have been replaced front and back. But - I did not cut down the rear bump stop. I have talked to others running this setup, and they did not cut the rear bumpstop either. Do you think the rear bumpstop could be causing the issue? Is it easy to cut without removing the spring and shock together?

Did you change anything else on the car like tyres?

Old car: 95 525i, OB/Silver, Eibachs, Style 66, Missed dearly!!
    VIN Decoder | Online ETK
    | E34 Bible

Quote Originally Posted by t.wak
    Did you change anything else on the car like tyres?
    no. still running stock tires.

it could very well be that by not cutting the bumpstops I am not getting the full range of the shocks.

how hard is it to cut the bumpstops with the shocks installed on the car? is it even possible?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast