GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's the end of the world as we know it!

Nah... I see this as a refreshing self reliance learning... Like any type of market, the bubble will burst.

It is good that you are taking pre-emptive strike against any possibility of service disruption. Learning where you can cut down monthly expenses... Any type of reduction in monthly expenses is great.

I have a two story house. If you like you can come over and jump out the window.

Rules of recession are pretty clear. We have not yet met the criteria.

If you really want to save on gasoline, get a bike and ride to work once a week. You will save 20% of your commuting gas costs in a year if you keep it up ($850) and don't cheat. Not to mention your health costs will go down because you will be in better shape.

Burn Fat, not fuel.

peace,

mellow johnny

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Default It's the end of the world as we know it!

My how things change!

A year ago I wouldn't have contemplated it, but I'm now seriously considering selling my E34 while I have half a chance.
    While I don't really like the idea, the time has come to be realistic.
    Uneconomical cars are going to be impossible to give away before long (if not already) and impossible for the average person to fill with gas.

The world as we have known it is changing faster than most are prepared for.
    The increasing cost of oil is causing price hikes across the board and many transport companies and truck drivers are in serious financial trouble due to soaring fuel prices.
    Truck drivers can't afford to fill their rigs and the same applies to many farmers and also fisherman whose boats require lots of fuel.
    It's a matter of time before we (in our 'comfy' Western society) begin seeing serious shortages of food and just about everything else we have taken for granted.
    Reduction in transport will means goods won't get on the shelves.

There are already global food shortages.
    Consider this - rice is the staple foodstuff of over half the worlds population (especially the poor) - in some areas rice has trebled in price in 8 months!
    This is resulting in food riots around the world.
    Check the world news... this is happening RIGHT NOW!
    So combined with global food shortages, what will it be like when fuel prices have increased by another 100% within 2-3 years and keep climbing?
    Of course that's providing things don't hot up between the U.S. and Iran.

An oil industry analyst predicted oil could spike to $300 per barrel almost instantly if war breaks out in that part of the Middle-East.

Our debt ridden capitalist society is literally beginning to crack under the strain and most people are so heavily in debt with mortgages, car loans and credit card debt that they already have nothing left to deal with what is now taking place... and what is happening now is only the tip of the iceberg.

As people look to their Governments for answers we will see a pattern of single term Governments as the population elects them, then dumps them after one term when things don't improve.

While not intending to be a total 'Doomsdayest' I'm attempting to 'futureproof' myself as much a reasonably possible.

Energy and food prices (not taking people's existing debt into account) are going to increase dramatically over the next few years, so they are the things that need to be considered sooner rather than later.

Fortunately I own my home outright on just under half an acre of semi-rural land, have no debt and work from home.
    I'm a 20 minute walk from town or a 5 minute bicycle ride.

I have just bought two 2000 gallon water tanks, a wood burning heater and am about to install two greenhouses for growing food and a chook pen. If I cut down a few more trees to reduce the shade on the roof, solar panels will be also an option.

A friend of mine already has the following...

2,500 gallon water tank
    Solar Hot Water heater
    Grid connected solar photovoltaic panels (1500 watts)
    Wood fired heater with hotwater loop
    Greenhouse for growing veges

... and is electrifying his bicycle and building an electric car using a Daihatsu Charade fitted with an electric motor he has already purchased.

Twelve months ago I thought he was mad when he told me he was going to do this.

So tell me, is he mad now... or not?
    Last edited by pundit; 05-29-2008 at 10:21 PM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Quote Originally Posted by RockJock
    Of course massive Government debt means less essential (humanitarian) services for those who need it now... and even more who will need help when things get worse.

And the homepage headlines make for disconcerting reading... http://energybulletin.net/
    Last edited by pundit; 05-29-2008 at 12:09 PM.

if you really, earnestly, want to do that, you need guns. seriously. buy whatever is legal in australia, learn how to do the basic maintenence on it, put it into a metal waterproof box, and forget about it. you'll need the maintenence knowledge when you decide to pull it out and find it needs to be lubricated.
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 05-29-2008 at 12:11 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Makes you think..

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Is this another australian authored thread bashing the US? Sounds like it.

You have your fall out shelter with solar death rays and self-supporting goat farms or whatever... I'll live in a house thx.

What, no weapons?
    How much toilet paper do have left over from Y2K?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    if you really, earnestly, want to do that, you need guns. seriously. buy whatever is legal in australia, learn how to do the basic maintenence on it, put it into a metal waterproof box, and forget about it. you'll need the maintenence knowledge when you decide to pull it out and find it needs to be lubricated.
    I'm not a 'gun person', most here aren't.
    However, my friend who is currently setting up his home to cope with the 'eventuating' situation is renewing his gun licence.

Unfortunately as time progresses, those who have prepared themselves will be faced with some of those who haven't, and many of those who haven't may become desperate enough to enter other peoples home looking for anything from fuel to food.

While that may be far fetched at moment, five or ten years down the track may prove different.

But it could be sooner.

Just remember, oil was at $50 a barrel in January 2007.

That's less the eighteen months ago.

Since then a barrel of oil has increased by 170% to $135 per barrel

Factor in the same percentage increase over the next eighteen months and contemplate the situation?

$365 per barrel!

Kinda makes you shudder... don't it?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast