GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifetime Tranny Fluid Hah!

Default Lifetime Tranny Fluid Hah!

I drained my tranny today to send out the valve body to Kirt... I must have drained 10 quarts before taking out the valve body. After the valve body, nothing came out... maybe less than 1/4 quart.

Anyway, filter said 1993... so no one every changed the fluid... If you dip your hand in it, it look fairly clean... even dirty oil will look pretty okay. BUT... when I pour it into my recycle bucket... WHOA... pitch black full of sediment suspended. I have never dumped tranny fluid that dirty.

I'd like to smack whoever coined Lifetime Fluid... they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. There is no way the filter can handle all that sediments... must have bee running though bypass all these time. No wonder my valve body croaked.

it's good for as long as the tranny lasts
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Ha! They just want your money for new tranny... earlier than you have to.

Unregistered Guest

Speaking of tranny valve body. What does it do, and why/when do you replace it?

Default What model car was this in, Tiger?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    I drained my tranny today to send out the valve body to Kirt... I must have drained 10 quarts before taking out the valve body. After the valve body, nothing came out... maybe less than 1/4 quart.

Anyway, filter said 1993... so no one every changed the fluid... If you dip your hand in it, it look fairly clean... even dirty oil will look pretty okay. BUT... when I pour it into my recycle bucket... WHOA... pitch black full of sediment suspended. I have never dumped tranny fluid that dirty.

I'd like to smack whoever coined Lifetime Fluid... they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. There is no way the filter can handle all that sediments... must have bee running though bypass all these time. No wonder my valve body croaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Speaking of tranny valve body. What does it do, and why/when do you replace it?
    Taken from howstuffworks.com:

The valve body of the transmission contains several shift valves. The shift valve determines when to shift from one gear to the next. For instance, the 1 to 2 shift valve determines when to shift from first to second gear. The shift valve is pressurized with fluid from the governor on one side, and the throttle valve on the other. They are supplied with fluid by the pump, and they route that fluid to one of two circuits to control which gear the car runs in.

The shift valve will delay a shift if the car is accelerating quickly. If the car accelerates gently, the shift will occur at a lower speed. Let's discuss what happens when the car accelerates gently.

As car speed increases, the pressure from the governor builds. This forces the shift valve over until the first gear circuit is closed, and the second gear circuit opens. Since the car is accelerating at light throttle, the throttle valve does not apply much pressure against the shift valve.

When the car accelerates quickly, the throttle valve applies more pressure against the shift valve. This means that the pressure from the governor has to be higher (and therefore the vehicle speed has to be faster) before the shift valve moves over far enough to engage second gear.

Each shift valve responds to a particular pressure range; so when the car is going faster, the 2-to-3 shift valve will take over, because the pressure from the governor is high enough to trigger that valve.
    94 540iA w/ EAT
    97 740iL (SOLD!)
    99 Discovery II

Tiger, I thought you recently did a trans fluid change? If so, did you use the BMW fluid or brand-x? I can't recall...
    '94 540I A (149K miles on orig. Nik motor) & EAT enhanced

94 540i

I didn't change it yet... Although this will be it. I am contemplating... I most likely will go wth Pennzoil Muli Vehicle ATF. I am debating whether to go with Mobil 1 ATF Synthetic since that is what Redline oil are based from... but probably not.

Where is Funfer? He is the guy who changed his 5HP30 into Mobil 1 and supposedly had 30K miles on it.

Unregistered Guest

Given it has been so long since the oil was changed, I would strongly suggest that within 500 miles you pull the pan and replace the filter a second time. The reason I recommend this, is the new fluid with fresh addtives will tend to break loose all the varnish and other junk which will in turn fill up the filter. If not changed the trans will not get adaquate lubercation and in turn will fail. This is commonly believed to be the reason that trans people say if the fluid hasn't been changed leave it. For people that have done this, they have often found the new filter completely filled after 500 miles.

Cary

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast