GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What is another name for the front pitman arm?

Default What is another name for the front pitman arm?

Can anyone help me?

idler arm

i think it's just pitman arm co'z idle arm is on the passenger side & Pitman arm is the one holding the steering on the driver side, co'z i jst recently bought a pitman arm & idle arm, co'z mine got worn out....

my mech told me I needed to replace the pass. side pitman arm - so does that mean the idler arm then? damn these multiple names!

I always thought they were the same thing, too. Thanks for bringing this up.

From CarCare.com:

Pitman Arm

Description: A pitman arm is used on vehicles with conventional suspension systems and parallelogram steering. This type of suspension and steering arrangement is used on virtually all rear-wheel-drive vehicles and many light trucks. The pitman arm consists of a splined arm that connects with the steering gear and a threaded bearing stud and seat. The lower part of the threaded bearing stud is covered with a protective dust boot that prevents dirt entry into the bearing and seat. The upper part of the bearing stud connects to the center link of the steering linkage.

Purpose: The steering gear shaft turns in direct relation to input from the driver. The pitman arm attaches to the steering gear shaft and acts as a lever, converting torque from the steering gear to mechanical force for movement of the steering linkage.

Idler Arm

Description: The idler arm is used on vehicles with conventional suspension systems and parallelogram steering. This type of suspension and steering arrangement is used on virtually all rear-wheel-drive vehicles and many light trucks. Essentially, the idler arm is a pivoting support for the steering linkage. The idler arm consists of a bracket, an arm that connects the bracket to the center link of the steering linkage, and an internal pivot bearing. A few vehicles use two idler arms.

Purpose: The idler arm assists the pitman arm by supporting the steering linkage as it moves in the direction controlled by the steering gear.

they both (idler arm and pitman arm) attach to the centre tie rod, they are not the same item though. the pitman arm attaches to the steering box and the idler arm attaches to the chassis and has a bushing there.

there is no other name for pitman arm. a realoem diagram will show you the difference

the pitman arm never needs replacing unless your car is in an accident and it bends somehow, because the wear is on the balljoint on the centre tie rod.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    they both (idler arm and pitman arm) attach to the centre tie rod, they are not the same item though. the pitman arm attaches to the steering box and the idler arm attaches to the chassis and has a bushing there.

there is no other name for pitman arm. a realoem diagram will show you the difference

the pitman arm never needs replacing unless your car is in an accident and it bends somehow, because the wear is on the balljoint on the centre tie rod.
    i would think the bushings wear out over time.

"the pitman arm attaches to the steering box and the idler arm attaches to the chassis and has a bushing there."

there's no bushing in the pitman arm though, only the idler arm. that was the point i was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    i would think the bushings wear out over time.