GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a great deal or what?!

Default Is this a great deal or what?!

Looking around for prices on Lower and Upper control arms for when I change out the front shocks - I think the weak shock on the passenger side has played havoc with everything else so I want to change the lot...

Came across this which seems like exactly what I need:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...spagenameZWD2V

Is it too good to be true?! The price is amazing in comparison to what I would have to pay over here... I'd be looking at well over double that for the upgraded bushings as well.

Cheers fellas.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

i would be wary, first the thrust arm bushes looks like they use the 'green' bush, that little triangular thingy, so i'm pretty sure that bush is the standard one and not the 750 item (i can't be certain though) the picture they use is poor and too small.
    its definately not the m5 thrust arm bush

secondly, the lower control arms are only, m5 variety because they are alloy and not steel. probably best to get new items from bma

I paid $105 each for my Lemforder upper control arms. research and see if anyone has had success with these in their car. Otherwise, ask yourself how often you want to keep changing control arms.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    I paid $105 each for my Lemforder upper control arms. research and see if anyone has had success with these in their car. Otherwise, ask yourself how often you want to keep changing control arms.
    I got em, still not been able to drive the car on them yet, even though I did these a few months ago. Too many things going on lately and been ridin the bike everywhere. I just need an alignment still........ Though I did drive it with a shitty alignment, the front end did seem pretty stiff. I talked to them about the warranty and it is covered through douche parts, not manufacturer, and have a 1 year unlimited mile warranty. Btw, they drop ship from a different location, not the one you buy it from. I bought the 9 peice kit for 210 I believe. You may want to spend the extra few bucks and get a buttload of parts, if you go this route....

-Pat
    89 535i
    83 528e
    82 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo
    1981 Honda CB750C

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    i would be wary, first the thrust arm bushes looks like they use the 'green' bush, that little triangular thingy, so i'm pretty sure that bush is the standard one and not the 750 item (i can't be certain though) the picture they use is poor and too small.
    its definately not the m5 thrust arm bush

secondly, the lower control arms are only, m5 variety because they are alloy and not steel. probably best to get new items from bma
    I looked around a bit & it looks like thegreen bushings for the thrust arms are the 750iL variety, the other ones are difficult to tell apart but they reckon they're heavy duty so I assume they will be from the m5. I like the idea of aluminium control arms too as they help shed a bit of weight even if its minimal!! I'm seriously considering the purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    Hey there, what you say makes sense but those are way too expensive at the moment... I'm looking for the most 'economical' choice at the moment. Last time I bought arms I went with the cheap ones & haven't had any problems at all besides what the worn shock has caused on the passenger side. The bush is dead but the balljoints seem to be holding up well.

The alternative to new whole arms is to buy a powerflex kit and get the bushes pressed in...

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Hey there, what you say makes sense but those are way too expensive at the moment... I'm looking for the most 'economical' choice at the moment. Last time I bought arms I went with the cheap ones & haven't had any problems at all besides what the worn shock has caused on the passenger side. The bush is dead but the balljoints seem to be holding up well.

The alternative to new whole arms is to buy a powerflex kit and get the bushes pressed in...

i understand what you are saying, and it might be 'economical' to pay less for a low quality part up front, but with suspension components, they take a lot of abuse, and you could very well be back in the same position in 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixdown
    yeah, I mentioned this ebay auction a few threads back. I was also looking at the auction but still can't decide if it's really worth it. Obviously most of the seller feedback is never long-term so one cannot tell.

I might as well try it out and give everyone the results.
    Sorry I missed that, but I think I'll give them a whirl and report back in a few months to let everyone know how they hold up. Seems like its too good a deal to pass up.

yeah, I mentioned this ebay auction a few threads back. I was also looking at the auction but still can't decide if it's really worth it. Obviously most of the seller feedback is never long-term so one cannot tell.

I might as well try it out and give everyone the results.

1989 11/88, M30B35 175k-miles 535iM
    1988 04/87, M20B27 153k-miles 528e
    1987 01/87, M30B34 126k-miles L6
    Washington D.C

Hey Ferret.

I can totally see your point but at the end of the day I would only be able to afford the cheap arms here, like I have put in previously. Another option I would like to do but haven't really looked into is this... I could keep the lower arms as they are becasue they seem to be ok. Then I could remove the upper arms and get the powerflex bushings in there and see how it holds up once I get the new shocks in. The only problem I can foresee with this is removing the upper arm balljoints without damaging them (and the rubber boots), this could be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret

BTW, powerflex bushings dont need to be 'pressed' in, you just cut the old one out and the new one is a hand-push fit...
    That is a useful piece of information! I have access to a press in work anyway but don't have any additional pieces which I assumed you would need to make the bushing sit perfectly in the middle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast