GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Replace Front Brake Pads without rotors...

Unregistered Guest

Default Replace Front Brake Pads without rotors...

Brakes on my 525i is recent (only six months old) with BMW OEM pads and rotors. I have upgraded to nice 17" rims and now I'm getting sick of cleaning my rims do to brake dust from BMW OEM pads. Can I just replace the brake pads without resurfacing the rotors or replacing with new rotors?

No problem. I suggest mintex pads to get rid of the dust. Usually, I get two sets of pads for each set of rotors. If, on the other hand, you have a warped rotor, don't even bother trying to cut them. On another note, always use a torque wrench to tighten your lug bolts. Leading cause of warped rotors is over torquing and not torqued to same spec. 90 lbft is what I use.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

I agree, I get two sets of pads on my rotors. I thought I was just being cheap, but on Volvo's, at least 20 years ago, as a mechanic, that's what we did. So I've also done it on the Bimmers with no problem. Except maybe one, that darn rusted on "centering bolt". I've had to drill them out on both front rotors recently.

Unregistered Guest

Do I need to re-surface the rotors? Rotors are only 6 months old and looks new...

No...in general, never resurface a rotor. BMW rotors are so thin that if you resurface them, you might as well toss and get new. If you are not having any shimmy from brakes and E34's don't usually have this problem, you will be fine.

Again, I recommend Mintex Red Box pads for general street use. Low dust. Otherwise perhaps a ceramic pad like PBR Ceramic pads. Mintex Reds are kind to rotors anyway and have great bite.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

Unregistered Guest

So, it's O.K. just to swap the pads? It wouldn't make the my brake to squeal or shake or anything like that if I don't do anything to the rotors?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by mholbrook
    No...in general, never resurface a rotor. BMW rotors are so thin that if you resurface them, you might as well toss and get new. If you are not having any shimmy from brakes and E34's don't usually have this problem, you will be fine.

Again, I recommend Mintex Red Box pads for general street use. Low dust. Otherwise perhaps a ceramic pad like PBR Ceramic pads. Mintex Reds are kind to rotors anyway and have great bite.

Just scruff up the rotors with medium emory sandpaper before putting on new pads... this will eliminate squeals.

Default New pads...

Try EBC GreenStuff or, if you drive deep and fast, EBC RedStuff.
    Excellent pads with almost zero dust...easy to modulate.

Phil C.
    95 525i 5spd. Shark in sheeps clothing