GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: where to find 4 piston e31 calipers?

Default where to find 4 piston e31 calipers?

I am having a hard time finding these calipers, and all the places online that say they carry them are out of stock. Could someone point in the right direction. Thanks

There is a set on ebay that I was watching. Price started out nice and low but is way out of my range now. Here ya go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=012

you can get them at the dealer brand new for about what that ebay auction ended at. I was also watching that auction, and have found it's worth checking with the dealer before bidding on stuff like that. I got a price of about $370 per caliper, brand new, so why pay >$700 for a used set?

Rockauto has them for $190 per side rebuilt... that is including the core charge as you are not likely tor return one. Just order a set and see if you get them.

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle
    You sure that price is for 4 pot Brembos?

Or is it for the the 'NORMAL' e31 calipers?
    brembo 4 piston off an e31. Realoem lists them at $600 per piece, but we all know realoem is not acurate on prices. My parts guy thought he may be able to get either rebuilt or oem (i.e. not in a bmw box) even cheaper and is supposed to get back to me about that.

Quote Originally Posted by mottati
    you can get them at the dealer brand new for about what that ebay auction ended at. I was also watching that auction, and have found it's worth checking with the dealer before bidding on stuff like that. I got a price of about $370 per caliper, brand new, so why pay >$700 for a used set?
    You sure that price is for 4 pot Brembos?

Or is it for the the 'NORMAL' e31 calipers?

I already tried that, they only offer a rebuild service. They have no calipers to sell.

Then try:
    http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...e=5003&PTSet=A

They are cheaper there... $170 with core charge.

Why does everyone seem to be so big on the 4-pot E31 brakes?

Bruno's site says "the E34 540i brakes develop 686 lb-ft of torque on the fronts at 500 psi line pressure; the rears produce 313 LB-ft" and "the later 840i/850i (not CSi) brakes...generate only 593 LB-ft of torque"

Interesting to note that 850i single piston setup is the braking force king: "the 850i single-piston front brake (like I have) generates 737 LB-ft, the highest of any BMW brake I know of..."

I have to say, if I hit the binders cold, I get the ABS up front, so the 540i single-piston setup is exceeding the traction of my 235/45-17 ContiSport 2's...can't get much better than that (including still getting ABS with several max braking cycles, i.e. minimal fade)

Just wondering.

Cheers
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Great info. But there's more than just clamping force. Fixed calipers offer more modulation and pedal feedback than sliding ones. A stiffer pedal feel that allows better braking for track use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast