GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Intake Pics - Opinions Wanted

Default Intake Pics - Opinions Wanted

I got my intake off today so that I could replace the gaskets and PCV plate. It looks pretty nasty in the ports. Tell me what you think, is this normal? Any ideas on cleaning would also be appreciated. Cheers.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/IMG_0119.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/IMG_0120.jpg

It looks like these gaskets were replaced already. Should they last another round?
    http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/IMG_0121.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/IMG_0122.jpg
    1995 540i/a 145k

Im using a can of STP throttle body cleaner. So far the spray and scrape method is not really working. Does anyone know of an overnight soak that would be OK for the plastic intake?
    1995 540i/a 145k

Havent seen any blue exhaust. I am assumming/hoping that this crud has been accumulated over time from a faulty PCV that never got replaced.
    1995 540i/a 145k

When I did this to my 530 I used simple green and a toothbrush. You won't get it all off and I do not know if it is OK to let it soak overnight but it will help. Just spray it, and use a brush to do the best you can, then rinse it off, spray again, and let it soak a few minutes and see how you make out.

[QUOTE=nearle]I got my intake off today so that I could replace the gaskets and PCV plate. It looks pretty nasty in the ports. Tell me what you think, is this normal? Any ideas on cleaning would also be appreciated. Cheers.
    It looks like these gaskets were replaced already. Should they last another round?
    [QUOTE]
    For the cost of the gaskets I'd say replace them. You dont want lumpy idle and poor mpg when its back together. Is that amount of oil crud normal? Unfortunately I would say a big no. Looks like you are burning oil to some tune. If you havent got a blocked breather somewhere your valve guides/seals may be shot. Perhaps time to ask how much oil you are using and if your exhaust is blue

Oh, my! Get in there with a steel or brass bristle brush. You're wasting your time using a tooth-brush. Maybe you should try using gasoline or get a can of carb/brake cleaner. Perhaps you should hook up a hose to your water heater and carefully (so you don't burn yourself) douse it with that as well... you've probly never emptied the sediment out of it, anyway. Am I right?

Yeah, Im assuming that it has not been thoroughly cleaned out in a while if ever. I'd like to clean in the chamber above the valves but am worried that all the crap I dislodge will end up causing damage downstream.

On the intake manifold, I have been spraying with carb cleaner, scraping, wiping and repeating. It seems to be working.

I'd also like to clean the injectors while they are off without spending $20 a pop. The tips look pretty grimey as you can see from the pictures.
    1995 540i/a 145k

Thank you for the advice, I used all of the above suggestions to get the intake manifold clean(er).

What would you guys do to clean the injectors?

I am also considering pulling the valve covers to get that gunk out and replace the gaskets. How hard is this to do?
    Last edited by nearle; 05-19-2008 at 08:49 AM.
    1995 540i/a 145k