GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New Keyless Remotes

Default New Keyless Remotes

Hello,
    So I got under the rear seat of my new 530i and found the keyless entry brain. So since I do not currently have a remote, I would like to get a new one. Can you get a used one or new one on Ebay and program it yourself OR do I have to go the dealer and get a new one? How much does it cost at the dealer?
    Thanks
    Dan Lafley
    95 530i

Well...I went to dealer once and got quotes for around 45 $.
    Then I decided to order one in ebay, it was just half the rate that dealer mentioned. It came with all the instructions.

I got an ebay one for my 95 530i and it works great. $44 shipped and im rolling.

This thread was also very useful for programming instructions. (although the fob came with instructions as well)
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...t=keyless+530i

The key difference I saw was that unlike OE fobs, the keylessrides fob didnt have a chip in it, but it did have a chip for my unit and i certainly cant complain.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick a$$....and Im all outta bubblegum..." - Rowdy Roddy Piper

I've heard stories about the e-bay keys and remotes either not working at all or unable to be programmed.
    Go to your dealer and see Ben Dover for a new one.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I've been curious about these as well. I've been thinking about the "give the dealer the VIN" route for remotes. Do they make the remote/switchblade keys or is it just remotes? I'm in need of a new set of keys anyway since my E39 came with only one pretty worn key with bad remote buttons.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

You might have a keyless entry that uses just the key with buttons rather than a separate remote fob. Head over to Bellevue BMW and talk to Mark or Glen in the parts department and they'll get you set up with whatever you need. And if you do need a new key, you'll have to go to a dealer to get it.

And if you're wondering why I said Bellevue BMW over Seattle BMW it's because Seattle BMW is usually 20-30% higher in price than Bellevue BMW. I've called both and had Seattle quote over double the cost of Bellevue on certain things. Seattle charges higher prices to start with, then they only give you a 10% BMWCCA discount, while Bellevue charges less to begin with, then gives you a 15% BMWCCA discount.

And that can make a big difference fast.

Not to mention the guys over at Bellevue have given me better, more knowledgeable support than the guys at Seattle.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

stupid question, but what year did the cars get keyless entry?

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    stupid question, but what year did the cars get keyless entry?
    A friends '95 525iT (6/94 build) has the dealer installed keyless entry/alarm with separate remote fob.

My '95 540 M-Sport (9/95 build) has the factory keyless entry/alarm with the remote built into the key.

I think all EWS II cars have the factory system installed. Not sure when the cars came pre-wired for the dealer installed setup, but I think it was a few years before EWS II.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build