GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Problems, i think?

Default Transmission Problems, i think?

Lately my transmission seems to be screwing up. It happens mostly when first accelerating seems like it doesn't want to change into 2nd gear. It shakes violently and if i press the gas, it doesn't accelerate. Sometimes it will eventually catch and accelerate, but other times i will have to cut the car off, let the codes clear, and restart; after which it works fine. It mostly does this when first accelerating in the early gears, but it also does this when switching to the last gear sometimes. The Trans program will pop up on the OBC, and the acceleration would die. It would not accelerate at all (not like the typical trans program message); until i restart. So my question is, do you think it could be just a sensor or a bad transmission? Hopefully not the transmission since I recently just paid for a new catalytic converter which put me back $1800. I'm really getting tired of these problems. It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to end up getting rid of it. Hope not though

P.S A while back, a mechanic said the transmission mounts were cracked, could that be the problem here?

Best bet is get fault codes read and go from there. Hope its just a sensor

Hi, Shakes on the 1st or 2nd gear could be caused by cracked mounts, Trans Program message caused by electrical problem (sensor, solenoid, etc...) or even valve body,the best bet as whiskychaser said is to go & get the fault codes read.

But I should tell you that this exact problem happened to me two years ago on 535i & it was caused by dirt inside the valve body, it wasn't clean so I went to some local workshop & got the valve body cleaned -2 hours job-, try this.

Good luck

From your description it sounds like the valve body is acting up, could be electronics, could be "hard" parts failing. One thing is certain, continued operation WILL ruin the trans.
    Changing fluid isn't the answer but won't hurt. If it dies immediately afterwards don't blame it on the fluid cahange, it was already dying.
    Find an expert, not a chain trans shop, and get an opinion. With 183k unless it's had very good care it's probably near the end.
    Good luck.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

From your description it sounds like the valve body is acting up, could be electronics, could be "hard" parts failing. One thing is certain, continued operation WILL ruin the trans. Have you looked at the fluid? It's color, smell and level?
    Changing fluid isn't the answer but won't hurt. If it dies immediately afterwards don't blame it on the fluid cahange, it was already dying.
    Find an expert, not a chain trans shop, and get an opinion. With 183k unless it's had very good care it's probably near the end.
    Good luck.

I'll check into the valve body theory, but in the meantime,..

I checked the transmission fluid, even though I know thats not the problem, but does it suppose to have a dip stick? One reason I ask is because I have a "ATF Oil Only" container in the bay with a sort of dip stick looking shaft that reaches into the container. It has two markings on the shaft itself, sort of like the oil dip stick. The level is full, i think, but does the fluid suppose to be hot? Because i thought i read somewhere that the fluid is suppose to be hot. My fluid is not hot at all. Could it be a clog or something in the transmission fluid line?

Im just taking guesses now because im at least 200 miles away from my regular shop (and probably the only good shop within 100 miles) and the only way to get there would be to pull it on a trailer.

Just to update on problems:
    I was kinda off in my diagnosis of the problem. The car works fine when just starting up. Shifts gears ok, and drives fine all the way up to the last gear. BUT, when i come to a stop, it seems like the car doesn't shift back down. After stopping, i'll try and take off, and the car will vibrate real hard and not accelerate at all. It will try to catch and shift, but wont. Reverse will work (with a lil bit of shaking), but the forward gears don't accelerate at all. Only after a fresh restart will the car work as normal. This same process repeats after about two or three times of coming to a complete stop. Just an update

Quote Originally Posted by Calico_NC
    I checked the transmission fluid, even though I know thats not the problem, but does it suppose to have a dip stick? One reason I ask is because I have a "ATF Oil Only" container in the bay with a sort of dip stick looking shaft that reaches into the container. It has two markings on the shaft itself, sort of like the oil dip stick. The level is full, i think, but does the fluid suppose to be hot? Because i thought i read somewhere that the fluid is suppose to be hot. My fluid is not hot at all. Could it be a clog or something in the transmission fluid line?
    [/I]
    I dont think your car has a tranny oil dipstick. If what your a looking at is this:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...22&hg=32&fg=20
    thats the power steering reservoir

There is no dipstick for your trans. The fluid level is checked from underneath with the car running, warm in park. Nice, huh?
    The resevoir you describe is for the power steering.
    Whatever is going on sounds to be very rough on the trans, it's already old. Continuing to drive this way is asking for it in a big way.

okay, thats what i was looking at. Wonder why they label it "ATF Oil" Doesn't that stand for Automatic Transmission Fluid? lol But im probably going to have to pull it on a trailer to the shop. The problems just get bigger and bigger.

Good luck, wise move to stop driving. Yes, ATF stands for automatic transmission fluid. Other hydraulic systems use it as well, such as power steering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast