GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5HP30 Problem

On 540i, tranny cooler is not part of the radiator.

Are you saying that you are getting slight reverse when in neutral? It is possible you got a valve body problem... but with your tranny at 170,xxx miles, it is a throwup whether you should get a rebuilt tranny or just rebuild the valvebody.

Going slow into D almost always means worn out... is this recent or has it always been this way?

Default 5HP30 Problem

Hi Guys, Just trying to diagnose the problem with my car, today I went out for a 5 miles trip and it was working fine but when I was about to park I noticed that it pulls to the back end alil bit when it is on the neutral positon and when set on the D it waits a bit until it engage (lagging).
    what's more I found some tranny oil in the coolant reservoir, so I immediately drained the tranny fluid to check it but it was clean & looks great.

what do you guys think? is it the transmission oil cooler? any ideas?

yes, I am getting slight reverse in neutral position, this happened 2 times last one was about 10 months ago & disappeared suddenly. but it came back again now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Going slow into D almost always means worn out...
    valve body worn out or the whole tranny ??

Both my E34 autos were slow into drive, as in a 1-2 second delay in engaging.

Slight backup in N means one of the brakes/clutches in the box is dragging, either because it's shot or because there's oil pressure leaking through the valve bodies.

WAIT! I just looked at your profile... Bagdad? Is this car in Kilometer or Miles? If kilometer, I would say go with valve body rebuild.

WAIT! I just looked at your profile... Bagdad? Is this car in Kilometer or Miles? If kilometer, I would say go with valve body rebuild.
    Well the car is in Kilometers but I convert it to Miles.

Mmm... so you are saying you got 340,xxx km... then I would say it is safer going with a rebuilt transmission... The delay in shifting to D means worn transmission. Reverse on neutral means worn valve body...

You might get away with just rebuilding your valve body but no guarantee how much longer it will last. When my valve body failed, my drive also took 2 seconds... and after the rebuild, it is instant.

Mmm... so you are saying you got 340,xxx km... then I would say it is safer going with a rebuilt transmission... The delay in shifting to D means worn transmission. Reverse on neutral means worn valve body...

You might get away with just rebuilding your valve body but no guarantee how much longer it will last. When my valve body failed, my drive also took 2 seconds... and after the rebuild, it is instant.
    in fact it is 279xxx Kms, n by the way I found some water in the fluid after I drained it again. could this be the problem?

Then do the valve body rebuild... How do water get in there? Flush the tranny a couple of times with the proper fluids. There are lots of choices on fluid these days that are compatible wtih LA2935 (I may have this number wrong)... but don't use standard ATF or you will kill it in no time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast