GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 93 525...help?

Default 93 525...help?

Might look at this car this weekend. Price seems kinda high. It would be an m50, right? how does that compare to the m30, especially in power?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/649898347.html

What should I look out for? The car I own now was owned by a kid before me, who (of course) couldn't really afford to fix anything on it, and so now I'm paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by indierthanthou
    Might look at this car this weekend. Price seems kinda high. It would be an m50, right? how does that compare to the m30, especially in power?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/649898347.html

What should I look out for? The car I own now was owned by a kid before me, who (of course) couldn't really afford to fix anything on it, and so now I'm paying for it.
    Yes, its an M50 with vanos (~190 hp). It is not as quick as an M30 (~210 hp), but you have found a 5-speed, which will make it quite a blast to drive. I have plenty of fun with mine.

Mileage will be better with the M50. I routinely get 28-30 US mpg (7.8-8.3 l/100km) with mine on the highway.

M30B35
    3.4 liter (3430 cc) SOHC inline-6 cylinder
    9.0:1 compression ratio
    208 hp @ 5700 rpm
    225 ft·lbf torque @ 4000 rpm
    87 Octane fuel or better recommended

M50B25
    The 2.5 L (2494 cc) M50B25 was introduced with the 1991 525i/525ix . It has an 84 mm bore and 75 mm stroke and produces 192 hp (141 kW).

**While premium fuel is recommended, I run 87 in the non-vanos with no issues.

See this post

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Chances are good the freon leak is at the condensor, check pricing on that and look for oil staining around the compressor and all the fittings. If it is a leaking evaporator it will be VERY expensive.
    A/C repairs begin at a grand if any components have failed.
    If you buy it take the yellow lights even if you don't like them, a whole bunch of people will give you the stock U.S. ones plus cash for them.
    Get 'er inspected!
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I actually like the yellow lights. I was hoping to look at it this weekend, but the guy never called me back. I left my number with his wife/daughter/lady of the evening, who said he was out cutting the grass, never got a call, so on my way down towards his area to hang with some friends I called, no answer.

Quote Originally Posted by indierthanthou
    How is the clutch? If it has been driven hard it might be going.
    Dave... the power figures say 189hp 193 torque for m50 w/ vanos according to bimmerworld, not a big difference.
    Price is not high at all. That is low imo. He could get 5-6k for that easy.
    Anyway! That looks like a good car. In terms of fun, 4k rpm + in any gear is pure loads of fun I have never driven a 535i so I can't compare.
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

The guy won't answer his phone, and won't call me back. I guess he doesn't want to sell it that badly.

Gee, a flake on Craig's list... go figure.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

You didn't miss anything. That year in that condition (A/C leak, rust) with those miles, it's probably worth no more than $2500. I paid $5500 for my '95 in perfect condition, with AST, heated seats, 17" OZ wheels (original 15" BBS, too), new tires, RD springs and bars, new shocks, Luxury package upgrade with alarm, full leather, etc, no rust, and only 112,000 miles 18 months ago. Many thought I'd overpaid. They sure don't go up in value. I certainly wouldn't spend close to what I paid for an older E34 with known rust and A/C issues. Mine now has 145k on it and I wouldn't expect to get $5000 for it. But then I don't want to sell it, either. Keep looking, and try and find a '95 with ASC+T.