GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Tire Recommendations

Default Tire Recommendations

The tires on my '89 535 are giving up the ghost and its time to put down some new rubber. Going to stay with my OME basket weaves so nothing exotic please. Live in Southern California so the only snow I see is in the travel logs. My days of super aggressive cornering are over, but its still a BMW damn it, not my father's Buick. What do you recommend

Note: If they are 225x60x15 tires be forewarned that tires in this size are getting rare as the tire industry has decided they are an outdated size.

I just bought Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in this size as they are highly rated for solid performance and excellent wet weather handling. Also, I do not believe Bridgestone has much in this size anymore. Certianly no new tires. of course there are other and cheaper brands to consider.

Check Tirerack in this size and you will find what is generally available. You can also use 205x65x15 and this size is generally available by all tire manufacturers.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Upgrade your wheels to 16" BMW wheels... you can buy them cheap. It might even come with okay set of wheels. Then you will have tons of choices on tires to buy... I refuse to be limited by the choices on the 15" wheels. I only use 15" wheels for snow tires.

Continentals are good. I have 235 17inch ContiExtremeContact, and they are superb in the rain. The price is also excellent. If sportyness is not important, 205 65 15 could do. My mechanic had recommended that brand for 4 seasons.

I just got the Dunlop HR4's and so far so good. I've actually got them on my MG too and have done more miles on that. They are pretty decent on it and I can hit the twisties real fast.
    1952 MG TD
    1963 MGB
    1967 MGB GT Special
    1974 MGB Roadster
    1991 Ford Ranger
    1997 BMW 528I
    2000 Harley Davidson Softail
    2004 Ford Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by billmcdaniel5
    What do you recommend
    Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
    Exceptional tire.... I wrote a review on tire rack... but here is the cut and paste

Great tire. Worth every penny. Tread lasts a long time, even with track events thrown in. Bought car with 7,000 miles on these tires. Drove car for about another 2,000 miles and then went to summit point (Shenandoah circuit). This is a highly technical course with lots of turns, and these tires performed great! Excellent steering response, cornering grip, and breaking confidence. Although the tires were screeching for mercy, that was expected from a non-track oriented tire. The only time I have ever broke traction with these tires was in the wet. Dont let this fool you, wet traction is excellent. Unless the tire is pushed on wet (i.e. punching the throttle, going too fast for conditions, which is how I broke traction) the tire will NOT break traction. The noise level is really quiet, even on beat up roads, the ride comfort is five stars too! Their is a ton of life left on the tread. I run a winter specific tires so i dont know how they do in winter.
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

If dollars are a factor I would consider these tires, I've had good luck with two sets, the reviews are very positive.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=2

Goodrich Traction T/A is a nice tire. Poor man's Michelin. Still available in 15-inch, I believe.

+1 for the BFG Traction T/A's in 225/60/15. Put V rated ones on a friends 525iT and they're great tires. Especially for the price.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Thanks for all the input. Not quite a consensus here, but a few pointed to the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, so I sold my first born and decided to give them a try.