GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: found my coolant leak

Default found my coolant leak

i'm kind of glad 'cause it's been freaking me out for the last month - was always checking underneath but i was looking for puddles and there never were any.

but i'm kind of not glad too. can you guys tell me how bad it looks? or should i look more.... i'm hoping it's common for those o-rings (4) to go.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 525i winter driver; 08-03-2009 at 07:15 PM.

oh... my mistake... so that's atf then...

guess i've got two problems (among many) now... dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by 525i winter driver
    guess i've got two problems (among many) now... dammit.
    Your not alone my friend! Keep your chin up
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Your not alone my friend! Keep your chin up
    that's appreciated, thanks -

it's always comforting to get those "don't feel bad, i just spent $X on Y" ... posts.
    i felt bad for not contributing to your recent to do list thread, but the thought of all that typing....

that's appreciated, thanks -

it's always comforting to get those "don't feel bad, i just spent $X on Y" ... posts.
    OK then here you go: "I just spent £100+ on a new rad (fitted it successfully!) and over £200 on some new Bilstein Shocks and mounts...(yet to be fitted!)"

i felt bad for not contributing to your recent to do list thread, but the thought of all that typing....
    LOL! Mine's got even longer since! Keeps me busy though, and I kind of enjoy the work when things go my way... Do you do your own work?

OK then here you go: "I just spent £100+ on a new rad (fitted it successfully!) and over £200 on some new Bilstein Shocks and mounts...(yet to be fitted!)"

LOL! Mine's got even longer since! Keeps me busy though, and I kind of enjoy the work when things go my way... Do you do your own work?
    nice... i feel so much better...

most complicated thing i ever did myself was changing a starter. i don't even do oil changes myself because i don't want to deal with the used oil, and i don't really have a good place to work underneath. i'm ok with electrical stuff tho (many here might disagree by now) and i change plugs/wires/belts, etc... but there's still a ton of stuff a person can do just to keep an old car safe and running ok - i was looking forward to doing some repairs and learning stuff on this car - i'm starting to feel in over my head tho... i've almost had it for a year and feel like i've been working on it/finding new leaks/taking it to the garage non-stop. i knew there would be some problems, i don't mean to whine i think it will eventually be a very economical car... i would like to get it into reliable shape, it doesn't feel too far off but that's what i said in november.

edit: if i could do it all over again, i'd have bought qube's car, heh.
    Last edited by 525i winter driver; 05-13-2008 at 01:51 PM.

nice... i feel so much better...

most complicated thing i ever did myself was changing a starter. i don't even do oil changes myself because i don't want to deal with the used oil, and i don't really have a good place to work underneath. i'm ok with electrical stuff tho (many here might disagree by now) and i change plugs/wires/belts, etc... but there's still a ton of stuff a person can do just to keep an old car safe and running ok - i was looking forward to doing some repairs and learning stuff on this car - i'm starting to feel in over my head tho... i've almost had it for a year and feel like i've been working on it/finding new leaks/taking it to the garage non-stop. i knew there would be some problems, i don't mean to whine i think it will eventually be a very economical car... i would like to get it into reliable shape, it doesn't feel too far off but that's what i said in november.

edit: if i could do it all over again, i'd have bought qube's car, heh.
    I know how you feel... Always seems to be something wrong but I don't mind getting my hands dirty it's just when the new part costs an arm and a leg that does me in. I do my upmost to keep it out of the garage, that's when it starts costing you serious money. I was gutted when it had to go in for the clutch - I didn't really have the tools and a lift to do the job, otherwise I would have.

They will get there eventually there's no doubt about that. Once all the bad parts are replaced I'll pretty much have a new car!

I do my upmost to keep it out of the garage, that's when it starts costing you serious money.
    i don't know- if you get your mechanic to do the right jobs i think it's worth it. parts are so brutally expensive here but time in the shop is still pretty reasonable. canadian $ are almost even with us $ but they still want $660 for a fuel tank, $350 for an alternator $400 for a fuel pump and $250 for frigging floormats (all plus 15% sales tax) and i have shopped around i'm a cheap bastard. chances of the mechanic busting things are way smaller than if i try to do it and at this point i don't mind forking over $60 or $200 to get something done that i'd probably really struggle with. i'm just hoping i'll get a couple of years more out of the tranny and eventually get to smaller things that i can take a bit of time with myself