GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: POWERFLEX: Initial verdict

Nice one Ferret good to see a positive ending from time to time... I've been waiting on this one, you might have just convinced me to go get a pair...
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Default POWERFLEX: Initial verdict

Okay gents, finally got the other one in and have been out tanning the bastard all avo!

=======Embarrassing sidenote!=======

I finally figured out this morning why every E34 I've owned has had a tendancy to 'sink' in the ass - stupidity that's why.

You know that curved in section on the left in the boot? Perfect place for my 'small' toolkit to fit into, cool etc!

Except when I thought about it this morning, my small toolkit isnt small any more - it weighs nearly 30 kilos.

You see where this is going? Took the toolkit out and immediately my steering seemed a little more precise got to where I was going and inspected the rear arches - suddenly the car's riding a good inch higher in the ass end!

I suspect it still needs new springs though - 30 kilos shouldnt cause it to deflect that much should it?

=======Sidenote over=======

Okay onto the good stuff - since I've driven her properly the last time I've fitted two new powerflex bushings and thrown some new dogbones at it.

Results?

Astonishing!

Pros:
    • The rear end of the car feels firmly planted - no shake or shimmy like uber 'dont f**k with me, I'm not going anywhere' firmly planted.
    • Due to the lack of flex in the subframe, the old butt dynometer has a sudden rejuvination and the car suddenly feels a lot more responsive - I know this is technically a lie but it's brightened up the driving experience somewhat.
    • The rear grip has improved infinitely - standing on the loud pedal on a roundabout no longer causes the usual scrabbling noise accompanied with the "You're a tit" ASC light flashing like .
    • Rear steer *totally* eliminated
    • Little noise/harshness brought into the cabin - for exceptions read below
    • No excessive ass-bounce on the car going over uneven surfaces

Cons:
    • Shows up how bad the front suspension is by comparison
    • Rough surfaces make a lot more noise (though normal road surfaces have no difference)
    • You feel small speedbumps a lot more, where the car used to sag and kind of smooth over them a little, it now transmits the full shock into the car if you drive over them at speed.
    • An unexpected con, though when you think about it should really be expected: you cant get away with clunky shifts and you can hear your drivetrain taking up the slack every time you move off with a quiet clunk

Overall I'm extremely impressed, the back end of the car feels glued to the road, and there's no real compromises to be made! The rough terrain noises I've found actually make you feel more in touch with the road.

Irritatingly when it was up on the ramps today I discovered the cause of all the racket under load - the exhaust support mount is shattered right in the middle!

Just gotta buy meself a few new front end bits and then I can set to the bodywork, happy I've got the mechanicals sorted for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    ...........The rear end of the car feels firmly planted - no shake or shimmy like uber 'dont f**k with me, I'm not going anywhere' firmly planted.
    .............the "You're a tit" ASC light flashing like .
    those 2 are hilarious
    -Mike

the rear end grip of my 535 is astonishing,even in the wet you have to try to make it step out...i put this down to the wide tyres and lsd ans the overall rear set up....the front is to finicky...the shimmy has returned out of nowhere,with a venegeance...
    Gone but not forgotten

Hay, Ferret. Any way I could get you to send my a pair in to states? you mentioned you might before... I need to replace mine and the ones you have here sound great
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"