GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car washing/ detailing product preferences please...

Quote Originally Posted by scotbotmosh

Nice! Thank you..and if you happen to remember the name of the 3 step polish system the next time you get out of bed that would be great! Thanks again!
    It's called the Deep Crystal system - I have been using it as well, but I think I am going to switch to pure carnauba and get away from polymer waxes.

Default Car washing/ detailing product preferences please...

So as the new owner of my 525iT I want to take care of it, and I don't want to use just any old car washing products, I want the good stuff...if you can help me out with some good products that you have used I will check them out. I would appreciate it. I used to use Meguiars products let me know your thoughts on those. Otherwise anyone here heard of Race Glaze?

If you have any suggestions on products for these cleaning areas please toss them in the hat!

Car Soap
    Car Wax
    Detailing Spray
    Leather Cleaner
    Leather Conditioner
    Aluminum rim cleaner
    Tire cleaner
    Dashboard and misc. interior trim cleaner
    Anything else I may have left out.

Thanks again!

1995 525iT 192K Miles

Default Car detailing Routine/Products (ideal)

The following is what I TRY to follow

Weekly/every two weeks

· Hand wash car. Use a quality car wash. IMO, most brand name car wash products seem about the same quality. Do not use dish soap unless you are removing ALL wax in preparation to sealing/waxing. Dawn is preferred. I use separate wash buckets. One bucket with two mitts for the wheels, tires and some lower body. The second bucket and two mitts for upper body. Use ALL cotton chenille mitts. I dislike car washes. Even so, I will use the best ones in the dead of winter.
    · After washing, “flow” low pressure water over vehicle. Water will sheet off leaving less water to dry off. If possible pull car in garage or covered area. Dry/blot with microfiber drying towels. Be sure and dry wheels, tires and door jams.
    · If needed, clean outside windows with glass cleaner such as Invisible Glass. If wiped dry with microfiber, most windows will not need it.
    · Wheel dressing - I prefer low shine. Many brands all seem to last a week or so. I currently use original water based Armorall. Spray on; wait 10 minutes and wipe/dry/buff off

Other as needed

· I use a high quality sealant/ topper-wax or carnauba wax every 6 to 8 weeks. I currently like Duragloss 105 with their bonding agent or Mother's Reflection sealant.S-100 carnuaba wax is my favorite topper. I use plush microfiber towels to wipe off.
    · Bird excrement must be removed as soon as possible. I currently keep a bottle of quick detailer, a microfiber cloth, in my trunk to remove the material as soon as I see it. Keeping your flat surface areas sealed or waxed will help.
    · Clean/vacuum interior as needed. Use Aerospace 303 on dash and plastics as it has very low gloss on dash with high UV protection. Treat leather with Leatherique leather conditioner/cleaner once a year in summer. The summer heat helps its unique cleaning process.
    · BMW Gummi Pflege/similar rubber protectant on all door, hood and trunk seals to prevent sticking and on some BMWs reduce door squeaks. No longer made. I still miss it.
    · Aerospace 303 protectant with UV protection is good on exterior hard plastics as needed to keep color or low shine. Original water based Armorall is also used some. Spray on, set a few minutes and buff
    · Clean engine with a cleaner such as Gunk about twice a year. Cover electrical components with foil to reduce the possibility of damage. Use minimum amount of water. Do not steam or pressure clean an engine.
    · Use Clay Magic Blue bar or a similar product to remove embedded debris from paint. Hand polish or use a random orbit polisher (ROP) about once/twice a year to remove light scratches. Then seal or wax. Always use as "minimal" or weak polish possible that does the job. I currently have IZ red (weak) and green (stronger). Scratch-X also works. All work well for spot polishing. Clear coat paint is thin and scratch removal takes some off. Generally, if you feel a scratch with a fingernail, it cannot be completely removed.
    · Use synthetic sealant on painted or clear-coated wheels. Wax will melt under heat generated by braking. Brake dust is corrosive and will damage painted/coated wheels if left on for an extended period. If brake dust is difficult to remove, use a wheel cleaner like Eagle A2Z. Follow instructions exactly. A clay bar can also be used to help remove embedded brake dust.
    · Take car to Dent Wizard or similar paintless dent removal (PDR) shop when needed (let small ones collect) to remove dings. Fortunately, I get very few.
    Last edited by Russell; 05-05-2008 at 06:04 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I'm using Meguiars for just about everything...

I have:

3step Polish system... forget the name. (Too lazy to get out of bed to go look! )

Gold Class Foam dash & trim cleaner. Excellent, foam means you don't get any of the stuff on your windows! Also makes a bit of a shine but without being greasy.

Gold Class Leather erm... stuff... Works good but leaves some white residue in places. Think I may just be using it a bit too liberally.

Scratch-X... magical stuff. Makes scratches disappear before your very eyes.

Also some cloths and spunges and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 525iZA
    I'm using Meguiars for just about everything...

I have:

3step Polish system... forget the name. (Too lazy to get out of bed to go look! )

Gold Class Foam dash & trim cleaner. Excellent, foam means you don't get any of the stuff on your windows! Also makes a bit of a shine but without being greasy.

Gold Class Leather erm... stuff... Works good but leaves some white residue in places. Think I may just be using it a bit too liberally.

Scratch-X... magical stuff. Makes scratches disappear before your very eyes.

Also some cloths and spunges and stuff.

Nice! Thank you..and if you happen to remember the name of the 3 step polish system the next time you get out of bed that would be great! Thanks again!

1995 525iT 192K Miles

Meguires, Mothers, 3M all good paint care. I use Castrol Super Clean on tires, rims and really dirty stuff. BMW rims are painted so just detergent on them. If you have uncoated rims(heaven help you) use a "wadding polish" which is a chemical soaked cotton wad.
    Avoid Armor-all and it's ilk for anything but tires. Lexol to clean leather and neatsfoot oil or Effax(available in tack shops) for keeping it soft. Mild detergent and water on the dash.

Ha, listen to me.... you guys ought to see my car it hasn't seen anything other than an automatic wash in two years, last one probably eight weeks ago.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

How about engine bay cleaning up ? How would that go ?

check out autopia.org for everything u need to know

Excellent great help from all of you. Looks like I will have an expensive trip to the autostore to stock up on all the must haves for cleaning my 525iT...Thanks!

1995 525iT 192K Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Ottawa
    check out autopia.org for everything u need to know
    Great link !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast