GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese e34 M5's

Default Japanese e34 M5's

In the last year I’ve come across two low mileage Japanese M5’s (one with 52K miles and the other with about 60K miles on the clock) with rough looking interiors. In both cases the interiors looked to be in worse shape than the interior of my 89 535’ with 150K miles on it. Drooping headliners plus the leather on all four door handles had shrunk and was peeled back (extreme fluctuations in humidity!?!?...... I dunno). The bodies looked pretty good but I’m wondering if “clocking” is a common occurrence in Japan. Anybody else here encounter low mileage Japanese e34’s with suspiciously “ratty” looking interiors?? Unfortunately both Carfax & Autocheck puked on their VINs.

Why is it more common in asian E34's?
    -Mike

I belive I do. My car has probably come from an Asian country, most likely Hong Kong (I've found a couple of Hong Kong coins in the car). May have been imported by the PO or the owner before him.

The interior is a bit ratty. The interior door panels are quite shabby, like the glue holding them together is becoming unstuck (high humidity?). And the leather seats are fadded a bit but no torn or anything.

Clocking is an issue, I belive mine has . Has about 95k miles (the odometer is in miles) apparently it's not that hard to whined them back. I've read about it in a book called 'The dog and lemon guide' or somthing of the like which gives reviews of pretty much every car available in Australia and under the E34 article they did warn of Asian imported E34's with wound-back odometers (I found this out after I'd bought the car ).

So yeah, food for thought. Mechanicaly wise they probably are good (BMW ). Exterior...well if they've been in high humid environment they might be rust in the usual spots (maybe more-so).

Anywho, home time. Got to run.
    Hope that helps.

Default Japanese E34s

Certainly sounds like the cars were clocked, but it also sounds like they were stored outdoors or somewhere hot and very dry or very humid from the interior damage.

vince

I wonder if sitting in a shipping container (or ro-ro) at sea for a few weeks can have a significant effect?!?!

Well, shogun said japs don't use their cars. Either that's the case, or they clock them all back.

Quote Originally Posted by RockJock
    In the last year I’ve come across two low mileage Japanese M5’s (one with 52K miles and the other with about 60K miles on the clock) with rough looking interiors. In both cases the interiors looked to be in worse shape than the interior of my 89 535’ with 150K miles on it. Drooping headliners plus the leather on all four door handles had shrunk and was peeled back (extreme fluctuations in humidity!?!?...... I dunno). The bodies looked pretty good but I’m wondering if “clocking” is a common occurrence in Japan. Anybody else here encounter low mileage Japanese e34’s with suspiciously “ratty” looking interiors?? Unfortunately both Carfax & Autocheck puked on their VINs.
    I know when I took ownership of my 525 in Tokyo, the title showed the previous owners and mileage at ownership turnovers. Unfortunately, when I did the export certificate all of that history dissapeared and I didn't get a copy of the old title. The car had 96,000 kilometers on the clock when I picked it up. I was concerned with getting duped by a 'clocker' but the car looked to match the low mileage and the title had reasonable mileage between transfers...

I have one door panel that has a corner of the covering pulling away. I wonder if it is related to the high humidity and high temperatures seen in Tokyo over the summers. The car appears to have spent time outside without the rear windows tinted as the leather on the rear headrests is rather 'dry'. But the paint is good to go.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by RockJock
    I wonder if sitting in a shipping container (or ro-ro) at sea for a few weeks can have a significant effect?!?!

no. not like what you are describing.

None of the cars that I have seen from Japan have demonstrated excessive wear that would not be consistent with their mileage. I think in this case, the simplest explanation is the true one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov
    Well, shogun said japs don't use their cars. Either that's the case, or they clock them all back.
    we'll i've seen a couple low mileage 500E's come from Japan with pristine interiors so i know they weren't heavily used ..... (maybe MB interiors hold up better but I think Winfred would disagree )

perhaps much, much shorter distances, lots of stop n' go driving, thus frequently getting in/out of the car leads to quicker interior wear?!?!?!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast