GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a CV joint on the end of my driveshaft?

Default Is there a CV joint on the end of my driveshaft?

I took my car to a shop today and the mechanic there said it could be the reason, for a knocking sound, under load on first gear takeoffs. He was saying the driveshaft has a cv joint connecting onto the differential. is this true?

either this is worn or the cv joints on the half-shafts are gone.

the variability is with whether or not you have a rubber disc or a u-joint to connect your transmission to your driveshaft. all e34s are going to have a cv joint as a connection to the differential.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

thanks Ryan.

there is no coupling (guibo) on it and I replaced the center bearing about 10,000kms ago. does this answer what you were saying. sorry i didn't understand accurately what you meant by this

"the variability is with whether or not you have a rubber disc or a u-joint to connect your transmission to your driveshaft."

..but I assumed on my driveshaft (number 2), the first part has a universal joint connecting to the gearbox and the cv joint on the other end connects to the differential.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    I took my car to a shop today and the mechanic there said it could be the reason, for a knocking sound, under load on first gear takeoffs.
    Another reason could be the rear sub frame mounts, what your describing is a symptom

I would think your car has a guibo, most e34s came with them
    it is easy to tell, just crawl under the car.
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

the subframe mounts are fine. I accelerate from standstill in first gear over 30% throttle and there is a knocking sound coming somewhere from the middle / rear of the car, it only happens in first gear taking off from standstill.

If my car has a guibo, why isn't it on the realoem.com diagram? no m20 or m30 autos came with guibos.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    If my car has a guibo, why isn't it on the realoem.com diagram? no m20 or m30 autos came with guibos.
    aaaa! I thought you had a clutch sry man!

I don't know why realoem does not have it.
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

no worries mate

Quote Originally Posted by healtoeit
    aaaa! I thought you had a clutch sry man!

I don't know why realoem does not have it.

I'm under the impression that all of these driveshafts have a CV joint to the diff and that they also all have a u-joint in the middle of the driveshaft. Some also have a guibo (the manual gearboxes?).

When you replaced the center support bearing, did you preload it properly? If not, it may be worn already. Knocking at low speeds coming from the center of the car is generally indicative of driveshaft problems such as worn u-joints (you have two by the transmission) or a worn center support bearing. Before I replaced my driveshaft, my front u-joint gave an audible click when the shaft was rotated. Found this by raising the car and spinning the rear wheels. Shaft moved-click produced-traced to u-joint. A lot of play will sound like a clunk. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Rus
    When you replaced the center support bearing, did you preload it properly? If not, it may be worn already. Knocking at low speeds coming from the center of the car is generally indicative of driveshaft problems such as worn u-joints (you have two by the transmission) or a worn center support bearing. Before I replaced my driveshaft, my front u-joint gave an audible click when the shaft was rotated. Found this by raising the car and spinning the rear wheels. Shaft moved-click produced-traced to u-joint. A lot of play will sound like a clunk. HTH
    Do you have to replace the drive shaft or can you rebuild the ujoint and replace the center support bearing.

I have the same knocking, and it's low rpms in 1st and 2nd and it sounds as if it's coming from under the cell phone rectangle by the hand brake. Should you stop driving the car immediately? Can you baby it, at least until the parts come in?

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast