GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roll bars

Default Roll bars

Yes, I know this sounds ridiculous but I auto cross and track my car enough that I think I might be needing one. I never carry more then one other passenger, so the rear seat does not matter. I am also thinking of getting racing seats w/ harnesses. Anyone know if I should go for 4 or 5 point? I have seen track crashes, and I have seen how the roll cages have saved lives. I am getting faster, and starting to really push my car to it's limits. Lastly this is NOT at all about the look aspect of the car. This would be a full function roll cage for the safety of the driver and passenger.
    Just wanted some input from others about if this is a good or bad idea.

Here is the company I would use

http://www.pipermotorsport.com/moredetail.asp?id=118

Thankx
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

A roll cage is a good idea and will stiffen the car also. It will also simultaneously destroy the resale value as a street car.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    It will also simultaneously destroy the resale value as a street car.
    To be honest the only way this thing is leaving me is if I crash it. Resale value means nothing to me. Good point though.
    How much do you know about the metal plate between the trunk and the rear passenger seats? Can I take it out? Would that compromise anything?
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.

That is structural metal... you will severely compromise the car if removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    That is structural metal... you will severely compromise the car if removed.
    If I had the roll cage incorporate an X bar into that part would that work? I'm not talking about taking the shelf out, only the metal b/t the trunk and rear passenger. The thing seems like it weighs a ton, that is the only reason why i'm thinking of removing it.

I don't think a roll cage will sufficiently support what you want to cut out. You have to understand the dynamic of the suspension on the body... Look at the front suspension... what is preventng the strut assembly twisting?... You may not realize it, but your engine is also acting like a support. A strut brace on the top will help make it more rigid for serious racer.

You need to consult fellow racer who has mechanical engineer degree to determine what is acceptable. You think those car will pass through rear seat has no support? No, not so, there are extra metal all around and the fold seat back has integral strength

If you do want to remove it regardless, you have to replace it with another type of support... such as tubular crossbracing.

I want one that just runs alont the B pillar with a cross bar to fasten the harness to I would still be able to use the back seats
    And I couldnt care less about resale value.....cus there isnt any In my case
    -Mike

The engine rests in rubber mounts and is not a stressed member of the chassis.
    I would leave the sheet metal between the trunk and rear seat. I'm sure it adds rigidity but is also a nice barrier between you and the fuel tank. Perforating it for a roll cage shouldn't hurt. That piece weighs less than the sound deadener it the car.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    That piece weighs less than the sound deadener it the car.
    The weight Issue was the only reason I was thinking of taking it out. I guess I can just take the sound deadening out for the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    you have to replace it with another type of support... such as tubular crossbracing.
    I would, but if what Ross says is true (which it usually is ) I'm not even going to mess with it

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son
    I want one that just runs along the B pillar with a cross bar to fasten the harness to I would still be able to use the back seats
    I'm glad you said this, because I was thinking of doing it until I went to the race track (if you are not going to track the car this really does not apply). My class instructer scolded me for suggesting it and said something like this.
    This is completely the WRONG thing to do!(note the exclamation point for added effect) A 4 or 5 point harness is supposed to keep you contained in the car in the event of a roll over. The roll cage is set up to keep the roof of the car from collapsing. In the event that you roll the car and you have the set up that you speak of, you can't duck under the dash. You could try and kiss your butt goodbye but the harness you put in would basically sign your death warrant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast