GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What year/model trans to get? I've read the '93 M50 MT was a weak unit

Default What year/model trans to get? I've read the '93 M50 MT was a weak unit

Been researching options for replacing my transmission. In reading old posts, it seems mine may have been trouble prone, so I want to avoid putting the same one in. Mine's a '93 525 5 speed, 2nd went out (from what I've read, this is trademark...)

Please advise- what year/model transmissions fit my car? 3 series an option? Not sure if I'll go reman or used- I have no choice but to try and keep costs as low as possible. Again, I don't want to get the same trans, used, and have the same thing happen in say a few thousand miles.

Thanks all...just need some guidance/education to aid in strategy/shopping.

Eric

either swap for same, or change everything including the driveshaft and shifter mech to zf310 (<7/92)...
    Problem is they are very hard to find... I'd throw another getrag in there.

Quote Originally Posted by EricV
    2nd went out (from what I've read, this is trademark...)
    What happened? My car rarely pops out of 2nd...But it does, I always though I just had not put it in gear all the way... Now come to think of it that would cause the gears to grind... Was the pop out a symptom you noticed?
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Default My experience....

Hi there. My experience was rather sudden- hadn't had issues prior (except, in hindsight, an occasional grind.) See my previous post to this thread- that has much detail.

In short, mine happened on a 5 mile round trip outing. Mild grind, then stuck in 2nd, then after being popped out (by me) wouldn't stay in 2nd, shifter warbled about in my hand if I held it in 2nd, and some miild grinding ion other gears. I limped it home and it seemed to work OK in 1, 3 and 4.

I hear this tranny (the '93 getrag) is known to fail early (early 100K range.) My opinion is that this is ridiculous. I love these cars, but there are just too many parts/components that are sunstandard (think front end bushings and the infamous shake, plastic radiator prone to failure, water pump imprellar, and the list goes on and on.) Overall I've had pretty good luck in the 7 years I have had it, but am not at all impressed w/ the car. My goal, at this point, is to find a used transmission, swap, and sell the thing.

I'd get yours looked into, but it doesn't sound as though you're experiencing what I have.

Good luck-

Eric

My getrag 6'er has failed in 4th, but it didnt do it totally - I'm going to give her one more shot before I give up... apparently they're prone to having the shift components fail rather than the actual gears/bearings/synchros - and I can get a minor rebuild part set for this.

However I'm really just waiting for an E39 540i/6 box to pop up I think...