GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with ignition lead - Desperate as I need car for tomorrow... (Pics)

Default Need help with ignition lead - Desperate as I need car for tomorrow... (Pics)

Hey guys... Posted thread on HT leads recently I know but need an urgent response on this otherwise I would normally keep it to one thread (With the timing messed up some of my posts on that one are hard to find with so many responses)... Car is running shitty without it, so don't want to drive it too far without getting it on.

Got the lead off that goes to spark #6 and have the new part (pusle generator)... Need to get it on but don't know how to get the end off the lead to slide it on - HELP!

Here's some pics incase they help...
    The circular part of the old one is still on.

Does this help...
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...49&hg=12&fg=05
    I can see the big end is attached with a circular connector but can I just pull it off or what? I've tried twisting but didn't want to kill it.

I've got a bunch of kids to take to a chess tournament tomorrow so I'm desperate to get this sorted without breaking the lead.

I'm praying someone can help.
    Last edited by e34.535i.sport; 05-02-2008 at 02:44 PM.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Default Does it have a pulse?

No firm that makes cars puts a 50p part if you dont need it.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    No firm that makes cars puts a 50p part if you dont need it.
    I'm not following?! I just can't figure out how to take the end off this HT (ignition) lead to get the new pulse generator on... It's seriously stressing me out.

Not sure if this is at all helpful, but all of the wires I've seen were pre-made (already attached). Didn't know they could even be separated, might require some splicing and cutting, I don't think those are necessarily meant to be taken apart, not totally sure though.

The boot on the spark plug side should be able to slide up the wire thus exposing the metal contact crimped onto the wire. You'll have to remove the crimped contact, the boot and then install your pulse generator. After that, a new contact should be crimped onto the wire. Crimping the new contact requires 1) a new contact and 2) a specialized crimping tool. These may be available from a local auto part store. I've gotten away with reusing the old metal contact and pliers for a tool, but that is hardly a reliable crimp connection. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rus
    The boot on the spark plug side should be able to slide up the wire thus exposing the metal contact crimped onto the wire. You'll have to remove the crimped contact, the boot and then install your pulse generator. After that, a new contact should be crimped onto the wire. Crimping the new contact requires 1) a new contact and 2) a specialized crimping tool. These may be available from a local auto part store. I've gotten away with reusing the old metal contact and pliers for a tool, but that is hardly a reliable crimp connection. Hope this helps.
    Hey Rus thanks - it does help ALOT! I have tried to push the boot up to expose the contact but not having much luck...It's pretty stout the rubber and not wanting to move anywhere. Just to make sure you do mean the boot that attaches on to the spark plug yes?!

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana19
    Didn't know they could even be separated, might require some splicing and cutting...
    I'm tempted now I'll be honest... I can see this costing me money though if I start messing.

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Hey Rus thanks - it does help ALOT! I have tried to push the boot up to expose the contact but not having much luck...It's pretty stout the rubber and not wanting to move anywhere. Just to make sure you do mean the boot that attaches on to the spark plug yes?!
    Yes, I'm talking about the straight boot. They generally do sit pretty tightly on the wire (lots of surface area), but its not impossible to move them. Just takes effort and a good grip on the wire (without squeezing the boot too much). Alternatively, you could try pulling back the 90 degree boot on the other end, but you'll have a tougher time with the connector since it'll have to be pulled out at 90 degrees to facilitate the movement of the boot.

Default Where did you find the wire.

Where did you find the pulse generator?

Thanks,

Joe B

Joe B.
    '70 RS/SS Camaro '89 325i '94 525i '04 Rainier

Quote Originally Posted by redandgearhead
    Where did you find the pulse generator?

Thanks,

Joe B
    Hey, I'm not sure if you mean the location of the old one or where I got the new one...

To see where I found the old one in the car have a look at this thread...
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=38031

I sourced a new one at CES car parts ended up costing me £30 instead of £70 at the dealer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast