GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help on a 740il Engine Problem

Default Help on a 740il Engine Problem

I just purchased a 1999 740il my first BMW in FL from a Florida Auto Dealer. This was a one owner vehicle with all the maintenance records, and the car had 68,000 miles. I live in MN and started driving it home from Lakeland, FL and drove 88 miles to Ocala, FL and noticed the Oil Light on the Dash Flickering. I called the Dealer and checked the oil, which was full, and the engine was running and sounding good. The Dealer determined it was a faulty Sensor, and I continued driving. I made it to Nashville, TN and was headed north to Clarksville which is about 45 miles north of Nashville, and the Oil Light came on again, and this time a Message said Stop Engine, Low Oil Pressure; however, before I could get to the side of the road, the engine stopped, and seized up. I towed the car back to Nashville to a BMW Dealer who diagnosed the engine, and determined the engine is slugged up. I towed the car back to the Towing lot, and attempted to start the engine, and it started, but the Oil light came on and it sounds like the Lifters are clattering. I shut it off. The BMW Dealer said it will need a New Engine to the Tune of $20,000 which is more than the car is worth.

Does anyone know if this is correct, and have any solutions???

Thanks for your help.

Tex

Quote Originally Posted by texjoh
    I just purchased a 1999 740il my first BMW in FL from a Florida Auto Dealer. This was a one owner vehicle with all the maintenance records, and the car had 68,000 miles. I live in MN and started driving it home from Lakeland, FL and drove 88 miles to Ocala, FL and noticed the Oil Light on the Dash Flickering. I called the Dealer and checked the oil, which was full, and the engine was running and sounding good. The Dealer determined it was a faulty Sensor, and I continued driving. I made it to Nashville, TN and was headed north to Clarksville which is about 45 miles north of Nashville, and the Oil Light came on again, and this time a Message said Stop Engine, Low Oil Pressure; however, before I could get to the side of the road, the engine stopped, and seized up. I towed the car back to Nashville to a BMW Dealer who diagnosed the engine, and determined the engine is slugged up. I towed the car back to the Towing lot, and attempted to start the engine, and it started, but the Oil light came on and it sounds like the Lifters are clattering. I shut it off. The BMW Dealer said it will need a New Engine to the Tune of $20,000 which is more than the car is worth.

Does anyone know if this is correct, and have any solutions???

Thanks for your help.

Tex
    Has the oil pump been replaced(i think 4.0 v8 like yours has 2 pumps) in those 70tm the car has done? If not that could be the problem! But if u continued driving like that,as u say u did,there could be severe engine damage due to poor or none engine lubrication... Have the engine checked out in a BMW service garage,and take it from there;the worst that could have happened is that u wrecked the engine,and that calls for another to be put in,which is a shame,as the car has FSH,but nowhere near 20t$,except u intend to go for a brand new engine...