GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Locks

Default Locks

Ok, Im more than sure this has been covered before.
    I just wanna make sure I know what is going on before I start ripping things apart and spending $$$$ fixing this stuff.

Whenever I lock with my key my car it unlocks itself right away, I proceed to lock it again. It usually stays locked.

Now. If I have the trunk in the UNLOCKED position and I unlock the vehicle. It unlocks no problem.
    But. If I have the trunk in the LOCKED position and I unlock the vehicle. It locks right away and I have to unlock the vehicle once again.

Is this the trunk harness or microswitch gone bad?

The double lock feature works fine and all the windows and sunroof close normally.

Sorry if this has been covered a million times before.

I'll reply.

Mine does the same thing. I'm pretty sure it is my trunk lock causing the issue. I've been too lazy to fix it, so now I use it as a systems check to remind me to double-lock my trunk.

(Search be thy friend) Here's more info:
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36785

More searching with the terms: "Lock Unlocking" will bring up more.

HTH

I have the same problem as well. I'm pretty sure it is the harness for the trunk lock. One day I was closing the trunk and about the quarter way closed I could feel the trunk try to lock(I had my hand on the trunk release at the time) I as well have to find some time but that's where I'm going first. Good luck
    Last edited by mikewerks; 05-02-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwwheelman
    Ok, Im more than sure this has been covered before.
    I just wanna make sure I know what is going on before I start ripping things apart and spending $$$$ fixing this stuff.

Whenever I lock with my key my car it unlocks itself right away, I proceed to lock it again. It usually stays locked.

Now. If I have the trunk in the UNLOCKED position and I unlock the vehicle. It unlocks no problem.
    But. If I have the trunk in the LOCKED position and I unlock the vehicle. It locks right away and I have to unlock the vehicle once again.

Is this the trunk harness or microswitch gone bad?

The double lock feature works fine and all the windows and sunroof close normally.

Sorry if this has been covered a million times before.
    lubrication is your friend. those locks get full of crud as they are moving all the time. get in there and lube it!

Default Update:

Okay, So I pulled the tape off the trunk harness where it pivots, I found 5 broken wires. I soldered them up and fixed them. But its still doing it.

Now I was fiddleing with the fuses under the back seat. I pulled one of the 7.5 amp ones and put it back in and all the locks sounded like they unlocked (they were already in the unlocked position)

Now when I have the drivers door closed and I push down or pull up on the pin the doors do not open or lock like they should. I have reason to believe that the drivers door is the cause of the problem.

And by the looks of it someone has already dealt with this issue already. (repairs evident on the trunk lock actuator harness)

Also, Is there any way to fool the GM into thinking the door is closed? By shorting two wires together or do I dare go down this road?

So, I'm sure I've found the problem.
    The previous owner installed an aftermarket servo and one of the wires has come out of the servo. I decided to remove the door handle and locking mechanism only to find out that the hex? (not sure) bolt that holds the window guide rail in has been rusted from 19 years of moister. So I cannot get the window guide rail out.
    Any suggestions? I'm going to attempt to reattach everything and pretend that never happened.
    I have aftermarket servos laying around maybe I'll try and hook one of them up to see if it works.

Success!
    I fixed the issue.
    After removing the drivers door skin and sound deadening. I started to remove the door lock. Starting first with the servo. As soon as I pulled the servo out I noticed one of the wires was not in its proper place.
    Instead of taking this apart (which seemed to be near impossible w/o breaking it) I happened to have a aftermarket central locking kit I had bought for a previous E21 320i but never ended up installing it.

I wired it in and it all works happy now!

Except when the trunk is in the lock position and you unlock the car from any other one but the trunk it locks again. I dont recall it doing this before but I'm not sure. Rarely ever do I lock my trunk so I dont worry too much.

Thanks for everyone's help! Hopefully this will be useful to someone else!