GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the E34 *rant

Default Why the E34 *rant

Edit: Blasted clock ! I didn't start this thread !

I get about 8.4L/100kms driving at 105-115 km/h with my 2.5 M50 engine. It's possible your engine needs tuning up, but I wonder if the engine is too small and less efficient compared to the weight of the e34. A big 3.5 or 3.8 engine will work less hard to keep it at high speed and for acceleration because it delivers good torque at low engine revolutions. Lower revs means a bit less fuel per minute, but not always.

Engines are sometimes badly designed and smaller engines have been known in some cases to be less economical than the bigger one offered on the same model. Sometimes it's also just a marketing ploy: quickly make an economical engine, or throw one in there that won't be as great because there is a demand: there's a fuel crisis (ring a bell ?).

I'm no real expert on the matter, but the fact remains that the e34 is a heavy car compared to other similar sedans that would do well with a small engine. It is a luxury car after all.

Why keep it ?

Well, it's solid, very intelligently designed and a pleasure to maintain. This site is a true treasure in helping take care of it. Every little detail has been well looked into. It's sporty if you want it to be, it's elegant and tame if you prefer... And its plain gorgeous. But it sure ain't perfect.

Default Why the E34 *rant

Hi, I'm new here. The E34 is the first car I have ever owned. It has been a month now.
    I love the car. Why this car? Because I believe the E34 is the last true BMW chassis. I like the chromed 4 head lights completely separated and the straight butt. The analog fuel consumption metering gauge kicks ass. It tremendously helps you to learn to get most of your engine. IMO Digital is cheap and is processed slower by the human brain.
    My E34 doesn't have an Airbag which means more room and less hassle to remove the drive wheel. The 1.8L M40 is a bare minimum for the E34 chassis but I get to pay less taxes and less insurance.

reason why I want to keep it.

my only complaint is I tanked for 120 euros (180 dollars) and drove 700 kms with it... it is kinda expensive here in Europe, and I haven't talked about the taxes if you own a M5. I thought the small M40 engine would consume less. but it seems I was wrong.

so tell me. why the E34 and not another car?

I find the E38 to be the last classic BMW design. It has similar features to the E34 and the square-ish design. Even the headlights are rounded, but covered in plastic.

I love my E34 and would still choose it over an E38.

1989 11/88, M30B35 175k-miles 535iM
    1988 04/87, M20B27 153k-miles 528e
    1987 01/87, M30B34 126k-miles L6
    Washington D.C

Can't imagine driving an E34 with an M40 in it to be quite a rewarding experience!

Old car: 95 525i, OB/Silver, Eibachs, Style 66, Missed dearly!!
    VIN Decoder | Online ETK
    | E34 Bible

I wanted somthing better than some crummy Holden or Ford and I don't fit in most Jap cars.

I wanted something old, since my first car was and old car and was just so easy to work on and a manual gearbox (I loath auto's). So with the Australian cars and Japanese cars out of the equation I looked at Euro's. I though "yeah, Euro's are big, classy...but easy to work on? Don't know. So I set a budget of around $10,000. Discovered I could afford a car from the 80's, wow alot of Euro cars looked good in the 80's compared to others.

Looked at Benz's...BAH all auto's. VW, aah the decent ones are too expencive. Audi's were auto's too. BMW? Hey onto somthing here. E28 535i manual...looks good, I'll check it out. It cost about $8,000 I think (don't remember exactly, but it's a good price for one in good condition). But oh noes, didn't fit. Not enough leg room

I looked at the next generation 5 series, E34. Hmm, getting abit to "new" for me, purhaps. It was a much bigger car. Still looked classic at leased (the head lights and the square-ish shape). There were a few manuals for sale our there, mostly 535i again, and still around the $10,000 budget. Great!

So I sat in one. Wow this is big enough and then some. So I bought one and I was happy

About analogue dials, they are much better than a digital read-out. If your speed-o was a digital read-out you would have to stare at it for a split second and think about it. With analogue you don't need to stare at it, you could have it just off focus and have a good idea what speed your doing.

Go to any refinery or power station, all the read-outs will be analogue. No use having a read-out saying "100 psi". Is that good or bad? Don't know. Need a scale to see it against.

1.8 litre in a 5 series? That little engine in a big heavy car? I'd think that would counter productive. To get that car moving you'd need a bit more acceleration, hence fuel.
    Anyway, though it share. Great thread
    Last edited by Ken35i; 04-30-2008 at 06:32 PM.
    Ken, from Melbourne AUS.
    '89 535iA with a 5 speed swap.

E34 is... timeless!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan
    I love the car.
    If that is true then you would not ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordan
    why the E34 and not another car?
    Anyway, do the simple math 1.8 liter engine, 3600lbs car.... Doesn't work out to a great thing. If it is acceleration you seek get the 540i. You say you like the low cost of insurance, and the gas mileage. Your gas tank is the same one as mine or the 540i so, yea it will cost a lot to fill her up. As soon as you drive another car, even newer BMWs, you will realize it has almost no soul compared to the e34. Stick through it and you will not regret it.
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Quote Originally Posted by healtoeit
    If that is true then you would not ask

Anyway, do the simple math 1.8 liter engine, 3600lbs car.... Doesn't work out to a great thing. If it is acceleration you seek get the 540i. You say you like the low cost of insurance, and the gas mileage. Your gas tank is the same one as mine or the 540i so, yea it will cost a lot to fill her up. As soon as you drive another car, even newer BMWs, you will realize it has almost no soul compared to the e34. Stick through it and you will not regret it.
    The 1.8 isnt even that slow when you look at the stats - it's quicker than 50% of the european cars on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    The 1.8 isnt even that slow when you look at the stats - it's quicker than 50% of the european cars on the road!
    true, but its no M50 and is sure as hell is not a M60

Just throw a turbo on it (with six fins) and run some boost, 30psi sounds good and you will be fine
    Last edited by healtoeit; 05-01-2008 at 09:59 AM.
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

You have nothing else to look forward to, except maybe upgrade to a 525, then a 535 or maybe 540 and then there is the M5 or you could go for a diesel transplant.

Don't buy any more car magazines, there's nothing of interest in them for you.
    E30 318iS & BMW K1200LT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast