GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: ds wiper...

my 1991 has the normal arm.

I picked up a used arm from a 94 530I for $30 or $40 and just bolted it on. It took about 5 minutes. I did it a couple years ago, so I don't remember specifics but it was super easy. I have tried a couple different "hingeless wipers" and I like the Michelin Radius wipers the best. I buy them from Costco when ever they have a $2 off coupon. They're like $9 each.

Default ds wiper...

gee, do i really have to weld this? http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/349957/

i want to change my wipers.
    someone mentioned in another thread that later e34s have a 'normal' u on the ds. (who woke up one day and thought of that brilliant idea?)
    but when i look on realoem the wiper on a 94 is the same as on my earlier model.
    anyone ever try using a p/s arm?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I dealt with that problem for 2 weeks on my car. I finally bit the bullet and dropped $50 on a new DS wiper. I'd be interested to know what others have done, though. I figure if you find one from a later e34 that's "normal," you can probably replace the whole arm. I know for a fact that not all e34s have this inverted "u" design.
    --Chris

1982 MK Motorsport BMW 528i (Euro) [M30]
    1990 BMW 525i [M20]
    2005 Chevrolet Impala
    PROUD MEMBER US ARMY - SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

Quote Originally Posted by WVe28
    I dealt with that problem for 2 weeks on my car. I finally bit the bullet and dropped $50 on a new DS wiper. I'd be interested to know what others have done, though. I figure if you find one from a later e34 that's "normal," you can probably replace the whole arm. I know for a fact that not all e34s have this inverted "u" design.
    thanks - i'd love to hear from those with the 'normal' arm. not so much about the money (this time for once), i'd like to put smaller blades on (i want to use the reflex wipers as has been suggested by other northerners). smaller blades put a lot less stress on the motor and assembly in harsh winters - just going with 21" but even that will make a difference i think. guess i'll get someone to weld if there's no other choice, but....

how about part #4 - the 'adapter' - anyone use that?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I recently had the Wiper arm on my 535i converted to the later "normal" style. Evidently it was pretty simple to do. It ran me about $250 installed, but that was at the Dealer (the car was in for some other work at the same time), so I wouldn't be surprised if it ran $100 or so total for parts if you do it yourself. Given the $50+ cost of the fancy wiper blades, it could pay for itself quickly.
    -Matt P
    '99 540iT