GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: problem removing transmission

I can't tell you which is best. When I did the 6 speed conversion I also replaced a bad nikasil so it is not an option to not remove the motor. I have the engine lift and stand it is also the natrual progression to do it that way. Actually I would have done the same way had I kept the engine. At my age I can no longer tolerate lying that long on my back under the car.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Default problem removing transmission

Hello all,
    I'm hoping somebody here as an idea to help me. I am in the middle of an auto to manual swap. I was a temping to remove the auto transmission from my 1995 540i. Two of the tork bolts heads are stripped. The two that are being the problem are the first two on the top sides. Not the two on the very top the next two. This is quite a problem as there isn't much room to do much up there. I really don't want to have to pull the motor and tranny together but whatever it takes. Does anyone have any great ideas for this?
    Thanks for the help
    Johan

I had that problem on 750 too. The top bolts are the worst. Once I removed the complete engine with tranny attached to it, that was the easiest.
    Remove all the front grill parts, that is much easier to get the engine and tranny out with an engine crane.
    Then in another case I used a big hammer and hammered the torx tool onto the rounded bolts as much as possible so that there was enough grip to losen them finally. But you need a very long extension with a flex connection to get to the bolts, at least in the case of the E32 750.
    Some pics
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/309930/

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    I had that problem on 750 too. The top bolts are the worst. Once I removed the complete engine with tranny attached to it, that was the easiest.
    Remove all the front grill parts, that is much easier to get the engine and tranny out with an engine crane.
    Then in another case I used a big hammer and hammered the torx tool onto the rounded bolts as much as possible so that there was enough grip to losen them finally. But you need a very long extension with a flex connection to get to the bolts, at least in the case of the E32 750.
    Some pics
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/309930/
    Shogun, you are right about the long extension and the swivel. I tried just about everything to remove them stupid bolts. I did however remove the bolts without removing the engine. I used a 90 degree air die grinder. I was able to cut the heads off the bolts leaving only a thin piece of the washer that is part of the head. I then used an air chisel to pop off the rest nice and clean and smooth. It took most of a day but its off and i'm now working on the hydraulics and the cooler line. With any luck by the end of today i'll have all that and the clutch installed and ready to install the manual transmission.
    Thanks to everyone for all the help it sure has made a big difference for me in this project.
    Johan