GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M20 Engine Oil Leaks

Default M20 Engine Oil Leaks

New to the forum and interested in some the members insight and experience.

I did quick search for other threads on this topic, some were very informative, but did not address the specific area for the leak I beleive that I have on my engine.

Quickly: '90 525i, 5 speed (m20) with 170K + miles

The area that appears to be leaking is just in front of the "oil pipe" that vent the crankcase to the manifold. I there is an o-ring that may have failed. From the EKT, the parts are as listed below.

23 NEEDLE SLEEVE 11,4X16 1 11111265412
    24 GASKET RING 1 12111363190
    25 BEARING COVER 1 11411276333

What is this called?
    Has this been a source of leaks?
    Has anybody removed the parts and replaced the o-ring?
    Is this a difficult task?
    What is the best technique?

Thanks in advance!
    JShep '90 525i

Thank you for the response, I have read the post (found it in my search of threads on this topic) regarding the vent pipe from the crankcase to the intake manifold. You were very clear and the information was very understandable.
    I don't feel that this is the issue.

Question 2: Have you ever remove the parts that are circled in teh attachment? if so, was it a difficult job?

Thanks and appreciated
    JShep '90 525i

Default M20 Oil Leak - Update w/diagram

Here is a diagram of the area that I am concerned about - part identifiers 23, 24, 25 and 26 in the diagram, lifted from the EKT engine block diagram.

In my car the "well" always seems to fill with oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JShep '90 525i

I've posted about this pipe in the past- you'll find my posts very informative. One piece of advice, simply turning the pipe around a little pushing it up and down a little helps the o-rings to reseat. (Clean the area around it so you can see any subsequent leaks) This arrested the leak for me, so it remains nice and clean down there now. All I had to do was fix the leaks on the other side near the oil filter and now its perfect...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by JShep
    Thank you for the response, I have read the post (found it in my search of threads on this topic) regarding the vent pipe from the crankcase to the intake manifold. You were very clear and the information was very understandable.
    I don't feel that this is the issue.

Question 2: Have you ever remove the parts that are circled in teh attachment? if so, was it a difficult job?

Thanks and appreciated
    Ahhh my apologies, no I didn't. Your diagram was a little fuzzy, so I didn't twig you are enquiring about a different bit.

I have no exp with that item, but suggest removing it according to the TIS or Bently instructions- you might find the cause is a simpler fix than a new part... (looking on the bright side is always better than the other side...)

Good luck... and let us know how you go!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thanks for understanding genphreak! Since I haven't been around this engine much, it has been rock solid peroformer for 100K miles for me, do you know the what is behind that cover and how it comes apart? Just don't want to have to find any bits that fly over my should when I remove the peice that holds the cover in place.

Yes the diagram is fuzzy (new to reducing the size of pictures to fit hte forum size constraints) I did purchase the O-ring that I beleive is the seal in this assembly.

In your post on the crankcase vent, the picture just shows what I am interested in, in the lower right hand corner - easy to recognize the BMW stamped in logo on the cover.

I do have a bentley manual, but it is for an E30 5 series, so the M20 engine is not featured.

I'll continue to search some more -

Apprecaite the follow up.
    JShep '90 525i