GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Problem with thrust arm removal

Default Problem with thrust arm removal

Well, I knew it would not be easy. I can't separate the ball joint from the steering arm. First I tried a universal tie rod separater that didn't fit properly. Then I used a pickle fork where I cut-away half the forks for some additional clearance. Finally lowered the car and bounced the front suspension to see if that would work it loose. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

If you are going to trash the arm anyway, then remove the knuckle from the car with the upper and lower control arm intact. Put the thrust arm in a vice with the knuckle connected, and then take a big pickle fork to it with a big sledge hammer. A little known fact is pullers work most effective "if given time". Don't be discouraged if the joint doesn't pop right away. Crank the puller up to high torque and then go take a coffee break for a half an hour. Sometimes when you come back, the joint will be separated. Or it may have yielded slightly and can tolerate further tightening of the puller. Always wear eye protection when doing this kind of work. I tend to use the best puller I can find and give it some time and then use some further gentle persuasion by beating on the puller with my 6 lb sludge when cranked up to high torque. Shock normally helps and this generally works better than beating on a pickle fork. Oh...it will come out :-)
    George

Quote Originally Posted by walt
    Well, I knew it would not be easy. I can't separate the ball joint from the steering arm. First I tried a universal tie rod separater that didn't fit properly. Then I used a pickle fork where I cut-away half the forks for some additional clearance. Finally lowered the car and bounced the front suspension to see if that would work it loose. Any other suggestions. Thanks.
    Use the pitman arm puller tool from Autozone. It pops the ball joint off in seconds!