GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1992 525i Steering Wheel / Ignition Switch Frozen

Default 1992 525i Steering Wheel / Ignition Switch Frozen

I was pulling in the McDonald's and I turned the ignition off and something broke inside the ignition switch. I towed the car back to my house. Now I cant start the car nor turn the steering wheel. I tried to take the steering wheel off and it turns out that the ignition switch needs to be turned in order to take the wheel off.

Seems like I have some sort of conundrum.

I dunno how to take apart the ignition or steering without applying C-4 and a detonator to the works.

Any help appreciated, please.

Your steering lock is broken, not the ignition switch.

Had this happen to me not too long ago. Thought it was the ignition tumbler. Put a new one in and it didn't change anything. Thought then that maybe it was the ignition switch. Put a new one in, and still nothing changed.

Only thing left then was the steering lock. Got a new one, pulled the steering wheel off, got the new steering lock in, and that fixed it.

Mine I didn't need the steering unlocked to get the steering wheel off. So I'm not sure what to tell you on how to get the damn wheel off with the steering locked and the lock broken.

Save yourself the $ and don't buy a new ignition switch or ignition tumbler as those aren't the problem. Just spend the $150 or so on a new steering lock. And you might also want to get yourself a pair of snap ring pliers as getting that snap ring off and back on again is a bitch without the pliers.

Wish I'd known what I do now when the problem first appeared. Would've saved myself a good deal of $, a whole lot of time, and a whole lot of frustration...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Thanks for the posts.
    Well, I managed to take the steering wheel off and all the column switches and ignition switch after much jiggling and playing. It turns out the metal piece that connects the key cylinder and the ignition switch was broke in half. With that piece broken, the key was not effectively turning the ignition switch and unlocking the steering lever. I probably taken way too much hardware off the column, but it make it easier to work on.

Monday I go to BMW and get that metal piece. I don't think it will be very expensive, but you never know.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

You'll need to buy the entire lock assembly # 32 32 1 160 278 and the two security bolts. It'll be ~ $120 when the smoke clears.
    Ask me how I know.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default How?

Why would I replace more than the single piece of metal?
    I was planning to replace the almost-impossible-to-take-off bolts with normal ones.

Mostly because BMW wont sell it any other way. The bolts are cheap but if space allows there is no reason standard bolts wouldn't work. I don't remember if there is room for standard bolt heads. Nobody is lining up to steal 20 yr old cars these days.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Yes, you have to replace the entire steering lock unit, can't just replace that broken piece. Mine broke in the exact same spot.

Be aware that there's at least two different steering lock's. One for autos & one for manuals.

Cost me about $140 or so for the one for the auto. The $120 one must be for the manual.

And no, you haven't taken too much stuff off of the column. You'll need to take all of that off and more to replace the steering lock.

You might also want to replace the plastic bearing that sits in the steering lock while you've got it apart. If you have an airbag it's #2 here

If no airbag it's #11 here

And do yourself a favor and get yourself a pair of snap ring pliers. Getting that snap ring off without a set is a bitch. And getting it back on makes getting it off look easy.

Forgot to say that if you have a hard time pulling the ignition tumbler (or ignition barrel if you prefer to call it that) out of the steering lock you can cut a slit in the top of the steering lock right over tab that needs to be pushed down to release the tumbler.

Normal method for pulling the tumbler is to insert a small stiff piece of wire into a hole next to the key when you have the key turned to the right position.

That didn't work on my car as the grease that lubes the tumbler had gotten gummed up real nice and I could apply enough pressure to that release tab with the wire to push it down into the release position.

So I took a dremel with a cutoff wheel installed and cut a slit in the steering lock so that I could push the release tab from the outside with a small flat bladed screwdriver.

Works a whole shitload better than trying to use a small piece of wire. Too bad I don't have any pics of it to better explain it to you.