GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Windshield Wipers?

fusible link?
    Gone but not forgotten

Default Windshield Wipers?

As I was driving home just now there was a very sudden downpour (I got soaked running ten feet from my car to my door, its raining THAT hard) so I was running my windshield wipers between the highest level and second to highest level, and while on the second highest level fairly close to my house they suddenly stopped working. Luckily I was going at a relatively low speed (about 35 mph) but I had just been doing 80 on a highway moments before that, after they stopped I was COMPLETELY blinded, I'm extremely lucky. I just did a quick search, I hear of wiper transmissions breaking and such, don't know what any of that stuff is. Wipers worked perfectly before this. My neighbor mentioned his car had the same problem a few weeks after he bought it new, stopped suddenly during rainstorm, but he said the problem was electrical.

Also, about 20 minutes before the wipers stopped (it hadn't started raining yet) I got the "parking light" check control message while losing right parking lights, instrument cluster, engine compartment light. Replaced fuse and all lights were fine and everything back to normal, I highly doubt it but could this be related? Neighbor said 12 years ago in his 530i some module had to be replaced following the problem... any ideas?! sorry for the rambling i've had too much caffeine

This winter I turned wipers on not knowing they were frozen to the windshield. After I freed them up wipers still would not work. Came back to car the next day to fix it and low and behold they worked perfectly. Same year same model as you but way less miles. I wouldn't be surprised if your motor was gone.

My son picked me up at the airport one time and he complained the wipers stopped. The simple fix then was tighten the bolt holding it. Hope your that lucky.

speed sensor pick up at final drive/differential may not give a clear signal,
    -corroded connection at pick-up, sensor dirty with metal particles....

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana19
    Don't think its electric now in any way, when I turn the wipers on I can hear the motor working at the proper intervals, but the wipers don't move. I can move them by hand. Clearly something just snapped in there, I see pictures of the wiper transmission but I'm not fully understanding how that unit works. Any way that I can SEE the wiper motor without removing it, so I can try to find what broke. Will that plastic cover come out before removing the blower housing, etc.?

Could be the same thing that happened to me...

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ghlight=wipers

The linkage bar has a ball and socket, I guess moisture gets in, a bit of corrosion and then the movement gradually wears the socket until eventually it just pops out....

The bar will pop off at the other end to, so you can replace just this partm but I don't know if its sold separately. I used on off another car.

Don't think its electric now in any way, when I turn the wipers on I can hear the motor working at the proper intervals, but the wipers don't move. I can move them by hand. Clearly something just snapped in there, I see pictures of the wiper transmission but I'm not fully understanding how that unit works. Any way that I can SEE the wiper motor without removing it, so I can try to find what broke. Will that plastic cover come out before removing the blower housing, etc.?

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Yup, just looked in and realized its the exact same thing. Once I get in there, how do I remove the parts. It looks like theres a nut holding the arm on one side, but I can't tell for the other side. Just want to know so I can order new nuts/bolts/etc as everything around there looks slightly corroded.

Use a screwdriver or similar to pry the old 1 off and some kind of pliers to gently press the new 1 in place! Careful tho the plastic can perforate under too much pressure..

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.