GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Anyone here want my 5spd 535?

Default Anyone here want my 5spd 535?

An '89 M30 powered 535i with manual box. Black on black.
    It has a bit over 300,000 miles near as anyone can figure. The speedo/odo only work very sporadically, the speed sensor wiring is suspected.
    It has received very good care all it's life, mostly at the dealer, all documented.
    It came to me with a bad head gasket a year and a half ago from the second owner who is a member here. I repaired the gasket, replaced some hoses, put on nice Nokian rubber, brakes and a few other misc. items. It has been my beater for the winter and never fails, still uses no oil and drives very well. I would not hesitate a moment to drive it cross country right now.
    It is rusty in the door bottoms, the left quarter panel above the bumper and has peeling clear coat on the hood and a well peppered grille surround and leading edge..
    The interior is still nice, no rips or cracks in the leather or dash, headliner still mostly atttatched.
    The central lock system is goofy but manageable(almost certainly a bad microswitch or actuator), the windows and sunroof are intermittantly inoperative(I will fix this unless it turns out to be $$) and the a/c doesn't work, my recollection is the previous owner stated the compressor clutch was NG. The gearshift is very stiff in forward and back motion, I have a complete set of new bushings but have either been too busy or weather too poor to get at it.
    Mechanically sounder than most of the cars here, what I gather from others posts. Cosmetically a bit challenged but certainly fixable for someone with the skills or willing to spend.
    So, does this sound like $2500 worth?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

No, not with the AC issue and rust. An '89 in good condition might bring $2,500 - $3,000.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

I'm in a tough spot with it. My intent was to just drive it until it needs a large cash infushion then part it out, knowing there is a limited market for such a car. From experience the parts are worth more than the whole, but just having completed stripping a car bare I don't relish doing it again. Plus this one isn't anyway near ready to die.
    I agree, less rusty ones(not many around Chicago) could be had for the price. Wishful thinking perhaps that it's solid driveline and chassis would compensate.

Default Same thing here with the Tourings

I understand how you feel. I'm in the same position with the blue touring, and possible the silver touring. I need neither, really don't have time and room for the blue one with the rear damage, but hate to part it out.

vince

Ross - you seem to be quite the E34 junkie, are you looking to get into another one?

I have this proclivity for adopting orphan cars. I have a V-8 E34 that awaits my attention as well as a real nice E30. Enough for now....musst stop bbbbuying cars.
    Vince, Stop tempting me with that touring!

Default Touring....

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and fix it up and keep it. It started right up today, and I took it for a drive...it runs so nice and smooth, handles good, and the a/c is nice and cold. Interior is in good shape, pretty clean, and I haven't even done anything to clean it yet.

And if I bring it to an E34 meet, people will drool over it once the back end is fixed up.

vince

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    I have this proclivity for adopting orphan cars. I have a V-8 E34 that awaits my attention as well as a real nice E30. Enough for now....musst stop bbbbuying cars.
    Vince, Stop tempting me with that touring!

Hows this for a bimmer obsession? 2003 525 sport-1995 740I-1989 535auto 1989 535manual......and three parts cars 2-1994 540s and one 1990 535 auto. And my wife does not drive. Like Ross I need to rid myself of the 1989 535 manual. 69 dollars down and 69 dollars a month any takers?

Hey Vince,
    Do you still have all the 2002's as well?
    I bought some 318i parts from you a couple years ago I believe.

Default 2002s

Hi Dan,

I only have one 2002 now. The other spaces have been taken up by E34s and an E32.

vince