GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HT leads are my best guess...

If I'm honest there's nowhere I really trust Indy-wise... I was under the impression it was ok to remove them while running from reading old threads... but I can certainly see your point, we think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Have you got a decent Indy near you? It just seems that replacing the injectors isn't a good way of diagnosing whatever is causing your problems. Unless you want to replace them anyway (so you can sell and get a 540? ;-)
    I must confess I emailed the guy earlier over that Oxford Green 540i/A... I just keep going back to the ad to look at it! I asked him some Q's about his windscreen and a few other bits... Inc the block number so I can see what the score is Nikasil-wise.

I reckon I could sell mine no problem with the injectors as they are if they aren't causing the fuel consumption. It is in great condition bar this. I wouldn't sell a car while its using this much fuel, its just plain wrong! Going to fill back up later to check if it is using such a huge amount. Its funny because when I bought it the fuel economy was good in comparison to other 535iM owners on here.

I think I've narrowed it down to the injectors or HT leads, hopefully the latter... Anyone else know If I should remove them with the car running?!
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    I can see how leads would cause a rough idle but how do they cause a drop in economy?
    It will cause partial or no burning of fuel in the cylinder with the bad lead. When a cylinder doesn't fire, it simply pumps raw fuel out the exhaust. That's fuel you're throwing away without using it to move the car.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Default HT leads are my best guess...

Hey guys first of all thanks for all your help recently... MUCH appreciated.

Now, I was doing some searching about my 'event' the other day and I stumbled on a few threads that described my car perfectly - Shitty rumbly Idle and BAD fuel economy (i.e. if the guage is correct 1/4tank (20litres) got me <40miles)... This is 9mpg - and at £5.09 a gallon I can't afford it!Their problem was in the HT leads so I found out you test them by running the car and pulling them out one by one to see if the idle changes or not...

My question is can I put them back in and move to the next one while the car is running or do I need to switch off? I am hoping this is not a stupid question, but it seems a bit dangerous messing with the electricals while its on!

It only clicked in my head while reading around that when I changed the sparks I found one of the HT lead boots had a small peice of curved plastic or metal inside that looked out of place. I thought nothing of it. Could I be running on 5 clyinders and not know as such? Would this give me such bad fuel economy?

The idle is rumbly and with the door open you can see it move. I've checked the sparks and for intake leaks and I think fuel pressure is ok as no problems in running... Injectors are noisy and may change them for the Ford 19lb ones soon if I don't find a fix to the fuel economy problem.

Hey, just filled it back up after doing 75 mile and by my reckoning I'm getting 14.6 mpg... Not sure how bad this is driving mainly city (better than I thought though!), but it definitely used to be much better.

Still thinking I could be running on 5 cylinders, so will try what leicesterboy did... The idle is shite no matter what the weather, why do you ask?!

I know the HT leads are insulated but I'd still turn the engine off before moving them. I'm concerned that with no plug to discharge into, the spark might track across the outside of the leads and onto your fingers.

Have you got a decent Indy near you? It just seems that replacing the injectors isn't a good way of diagnosing whatever is causing your problems. Unless you want to replace them anyway (so you can sell and get a 540? ;-)

I've pulled HT leads out before while the engine is running with no problem, you can hear the spark quite loudly and sometimes you can feel it but the lead is designed to insulate and you only pull it out for a few seconds. For more protection, wear gardening gloves and wrap the lead in a cloth. Is the idle worse when the weather is damp? Try coating the lead in WD40 to see if it improves, I can see how leads would cause a rough idle but how do they cause a drop in economy?
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    It will cause partial or no burning of fuel in the cylinder with the bad lead. When a cylinder doesn't fire, it simply pumps raw fuel out the exhaust. That's fuel you're throwing away without using it to move the car.
    Ahh I see, makes sense now!
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    Try coating the lead in WD40 to see if it improves
    Run engine, spray leads with WD40. Before it dries pull/replace each plug lead in turn. The one that makes you jump highest is the worst one. Or just put a meter on each lead and check resistances. Bet somebody has a spec

Yes, you can pull the leads one by one but this will really only tell you if one has completey failed. Looking for arcing when it is dark is another way to diagnose really bad wires. If they are really old just buy new ones and a cap and rotor.
    If you are concerned with fuel economy why would you consider a larger injector? There are services that clean your injectors and install new screens and seals for a fraction of the cost for new.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Usually if you're running off of 5 cylinders you will get a much higher vibration than normal. I forgot to plug back in an injector on my friend's car and the car literally vibrated everywhere...took me a while to figure what I did wrong.

To be sure, spend the money on wires if they look old, new plugs, new distributor cap etc, and certainly get the injectors cleaned (it really helps). What's the ICV like?

1989 11/88, M30B35 175k-miles 535iM
    1988 04/87, M20B27 153k-miles 528e
    1987 01/87, M30B34 126k-miles L6
    Washington D.C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast