GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M60 disappearing oil - help and advice needed!

Default M60 disappearing oil - help and advice needed!

Pulled up home onto the ramp this evening, shut down and *BONG* Oil Level! on the dash...

Seems to go full --> nearly empty on the dipstick over 4 months ish!

Now my burning question! That's a hell of a lot of oil disappearing over 4 months - would a Nikasil issue cause oil to vanish? It doesnt appear to be leaving any on the floor but I shall pop off the undertray next weekend and see if it's leaving any on it.

It's ticking over smooth as anything, so I dont suspect a nikasil issue...

Next question, when I open the oil cap I can hear a gargantuan sucking noise from the PCV plate - which is practically brand new - but the idle hardly changes... does this sound correct?

Without actually popping an injector out I cant see if the engine's actually ingesting its own oil - there's no tinge of colour to the exhaust, other than the usual 'holy **** that's burning a lot of fuel' grey that you sometimes get in a very small amount on flat-out spool up.

Anyone have any thoughts as to where it's going?

I'm going to have to drop the oil pan *again* I think because the damn oil level sensor is now stuck in the low oil mode, bongs every time I start the car.... that, or take it over some rumble strips somewhere to loosen the bastard up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Pulled up home onto the ramp this evening, shut down and *BONG* Oil Level! on the dash...

Seems to go full --> nearly empty on the dipstick over 4 months ish!

Now my burning question! That's a hell of a lot of oil disappearing over 4 months - would a Nikasil issue cause oil to vanish? It doesnt appear to be leaving any on the floor but I shall pop off the undertray next weekend and see if it's leaving any on it.

It's ticking over smooth as anything, so I dont suspect a nikasil issue...

Next question, when I open the oil cap I can hear a gargantuan sucking noise from the PCV plate - which is practically brand new - but the idle hardly changes... does this sound correct?

Without actually popping an injector out I cant see if the engine's actually ingesting its own oil - there's no tinge of colour to the exhaust, other than the usual 'holy **** that's burning a lot of fuel' grey that you sometimes get in a very small amount on flat-out spool up.

Anyone have any thoughts as to where it's going?

I'm going to have to drop the oil pan *again* I think because the damn oil level sensor is now stuck in the low oil mode, bongs every time I start the car.... that, or take it over some rumble strips somewhere to loosen the bastard up!
    I dont think we have a Nikasil issue do we? I know we get some cheapo bunkered fuel from Rotterdam but I dont think we get the high sulphur stuff that caused the problems in the US. Not familiar with your motor but in general you dont get a noise like opening a jar of jam when you take the oil filler cap off. The idle may slow down a tad though. If you are burning it, it will be on the plugs and in the exhaust tail pipe. You think you could get one of those old Colourtune plugs in there-they show green if you are burning oil dont they?

This seems obvious but have you checked the valve cover gaskets? If it looks like there is or was oil leaking around the bolts spray some brake cleaner around them and keep an eye out for any oil that shouldn't be there.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the back two spark plugs usually catch most of the oil when it's sucking it past the plate, i've seen em barf in a couple years i guess the diaphragm in the plate could get stuck and let it suck on the crankcase, massive vacuum at the cap ain't a good sign, i've popped the oil cap on some that was like flipping the tab on a beer SHHHHICK
    Hah!

No, there's no noticable noise coming from the oil cap when you open it, it just starts to make a weird noise from the PCV plate - I wonder if it's trying to slam shut and not quite sealing properly...

Will get the plugs out and consider re-sealing the rocker covers again... the PO practically glued them down with haematite, but they're still leaking a bit, maybe it's going down the back of the block.

I *do* tend to rag the balls off the car mind, so it may just be normal use for a car driven hard.

the back two spark plugs usually catch most of the oil when it's sucking it past the plate, i've seen em barf in a couple years i guess the diaphragm in the plate could get stuck and let it suck on the crankcase, massive vacuum at the cap ain't a good sign, i've popped the oil cap on some that was like flipping the tab on a beer SHHHHICK
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Could it be the leaky O-rings 8 and or 9?
    When you replaced the PCV plate did you tap that tube back to the firewall to seat the Oring?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=11&fg=15

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Hah!
    , it just starts to make a weird noise from the PCV plate - .
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Thanks for the fresh info, winfred
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    it pisses oil when one of those leaks, the only time you usually have problems is on the later vanos v8s with the bastard spring loaded tube
    The tube was definitely sealed up front correctly... now I'm wondering if disturbing it may have broken the seal up front as there was a looooot of **** on there when I first pushed it back!

it pisses oil when one of those leaks, the only time you usually have problems is on the later vanos v8s with the bastard spring loaded tube

Quote Originally Posted by MBXB
    Could it be the leaky O-rings 8 and or 9?
    When you replaced the PCV plate did you tap that tube back to the firewall to seat the Oring?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=11&fg=15
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Can you check inside the intake by taking the front off (where the intake meets the throttle housing)? From memory I think you can, that would be the easiest way of telling if any oil is being consumed. The 3 oil leaks I've had are PCV Plate, Rocker cover gaskets and lower sump gasket but these all seem to be typical things that go on the M60.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast