GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 525i / E34 Transmission problems after service

Default 525i / E34 Transmission problems after service

Hi, I hope you can help me, my first post! I changed my auto transmission and rear diff fluids over the weekend. The transmission shifted fine before. The 1994 car has 130,000 miles and the trans was never serviced before. I used Redline transmission fluid. I dropped the pans and used new gaskets and a new filter. I filled up the supplementary pan with fluid before installing and pumped in fluid to the main pan. In total I added 4 qt/bottles of fluid and warmed the car up for 1/2 hour on the jacks stands and then added another 20 oz or so. The transmission is now slipping when going into first gear, ie. it doesn't catch right away and then slams in or if you accelerate slowly, it surges while grabbing first gear. The transmission is not leaking as far as I can tell. I'm not sure what the problem is, any help appreciated.

How do you know that the transmission fluid you used is right for your transmission (I'm not saying it isn't right, but given that the problems only just started...).

Also, did you follow the correct procedure or did you guess the level? It does sound like you did it properly, given that you warmed things up before adding more.

Dont know what box you have, but with mine the procedure is to warm up, run at fast idle (put aircon on) and then shift gear positions every half a minute or so. It makes a nice sucking noise like some kid finishing a milk shake when it wants more. When it doesnt you get soaked. But perhaps your procedure is more civilized

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    How do you know that the transmission fluid you used is right for your transmission (I'm not saying it isn't right, but given that the problems only just started...).

Also, did you follow the correct procedure or did you guess the level? It does sound like you did it properly, given that you warmed things up before adding more.
    I tried to follow the correct procedure but in retrospect, maybe I didn't get it warm enough, shift enough, etc... I added about 5 quarts, less what I spilled, my garage floor was already a mess with the old fluid. I used Redline fluid that's Dextron III compatible, the car has a GM transmission. Taking it to a shop today, I'll get divorced if I spent anymore time on it.

I probably didn't warm it enough, although I had the car running half an hour or so. What I found strange is when I put it in gear the rear wheels didn't spin freely when it was up on the jacks. I had to go up to 1500 to 2000 RPMs to get wheels spinning. Even then it didn't seem that the wheels were moving that fast, maybe 5 miles an hour. In neutral I could turn the wheels manually and they'd spin pretty good, I also changed the rear diff fluid. When I did the shifting I didn't hear the slurping noise. I'm going to take it to a BMW garage, not a dealer tonight. Can't afford to spend much more time on it or marriage will be history.

Quote Originally Posted by jjwiii
    I probably didn't warm it enough, although I had the car running half an hour or so. What I found strange is when I put it in gear the rear wheels didn't spin freely when it was up on the jacks. I had to go up to 1500 to 2000 RPMs to get wheels spinning. Even then it didn't seem that the wheels were moving that fast, maybe 5 miles an hour. In neutral I could turn the wheels manually and they'd spin pretty good, I also changed the rear diff fluid. When I did the shifting I didn't hear the slurping noise. I'm going to take it to a BMW garage, not a dealer tonight. Can't afford to spend much more time on it or marriage will be history.
    To be honest I think its a two man job. One to do the easy bit - sit in the driver's seat, keep the revs up, swap gears with foot firmly on brake. This is tailor made for the lady. Mine complains her leg hurts though . You of course get the mucky bit underneath. And you have to give clear audible instructions from under the car when the engine is running. Avoid using hand signals at all costs