GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PowerFlex kit subframe bushings finally arrived

Default PowerFlex kit subframe bushings finally arrived

Gawd they took ages to get here....

After getting fed up of the car rear-steering I decided to have a go with some powerflex subframe bushings!

They're huge...

Todays big question is thus:
    How easy is it to drop the subframe approx 1 inch to get the top half of this bushing over? They're press-fit together rubberised components, but you need to be able to get at the top and the bottom of the carrier to fit em!

Anyone have any suggestions... just jack it up, drop the subframe bolts on each side and pray?

Write-up will be coming when I figure this lot out!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Todays big question is thus:
    How easy is it to drop the subframe approx 1 inch to get the top half of this bushing over? They're press-fit together rubberised components, but you need to be able to get at the top and the bottom of the carrier to fit em!

Anyone have any suggestions... just jack it up, drop the subframe bolts on each side and pray?
    It should drop that amount on its own. But if not a gentle lever will do it easily

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    i asked about these on m5board. I heard reports that they would introduce too much road vechile harshness into the cabin.
    S'cuse the expression, but I personally think that's cr*p.

I've been in two E34s now that have powerflex bushings in the subframe - and they've both been as quiet (or at least not noticably different) as the cars without. These arent solid blocks of plastic that just transmit every chassis resonation into the car - they're rubberised just enough to cut most of it out. They are however *hugely* noticable in the rear end stability - made a hell of a difference to how the cars drive.

Whiskychaser - mate, should make life easier! Where'd you position your jackstands while you were doing this job?

i asked about these on m5board. I heard reports that they would introduce too much road vechile harshness into the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    I put them under the sills with wood in between. I really didnt like doing it but the sills were absolutely fine
    Erk! Which bit of the sil did you put the pressure on, the flat bodywork or the weld seam that sticks down? I Think it might be worth finding me some grooved bits of wood

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    thanks for that. How much do they go for?
    They retail here for about $50AUD a side I think! (If my conversion factor is correct!)

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products....3&catalog=0903

Will report back on ease of fitment etc next weekend, I've got the outlaws visiting this weekend so I cant get em fitted! *groan*

Whiskychaser - mate, should make life easier! Where'd you position your jackstands while you were doing this job?
    I put them under the sills with wood in between. I really didnt like doing it but the sills were absolutely fine

thanks for that. How much do they go for?

S'cuse the expression, but I personally think that's cr*p.

I've been in two E34s now that have powerflex bushings in the subframe - and they've both been as quiet (or at least not noticably different) as the cars without. These arent solid blocks of plastic that just transmit every chassis resonation into the car - they're rubberised just enough to cut most of it out. They are however *hugely* noticable in the rear end stability - made a hell of a difference to how the cars drive.

Erk! Which bit of the sil did you put the pressure on, the flat bodywork or the weld seam that sticks down? I Think it might be worth finding me some grooved bits of wood
    I put them under the welded seam. Think it was 2"x2" and about 6" long in the hope it would spread the load a bit

nice Im gonna be ordering some powerflex poly bushes sometime very soon
    -Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast