GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autocross suggestions

helmet, tools, extra fire extinguisher, extra rotors, tires and wheels (incase), a range of different diameter anti sway bars to compare sway patterns in turns, g-force data kit, multimeter and extra hoses. Oh and you should also bring a full body armour suit, and a few friends to video the occasion.

Good luck with it and look forward to the videos.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Autocross suggestions

Hay all! i'm going autocrossing on the 26th for the first time! I was wondering what I should prepare to bring with me and how I should prep the car.

Thankx!
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    full body armour suit
    Do you custom make those? lol
    Thanks for the advice!
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.

Quote Originally Posted by healtoeit
    Hay all! i'm going autocrossing on the 26th for the first time! I was wondering what I should prepare to bring with me and how I should prep the car.

Thankx!
    You mean you are going to autocross in YOUR car? It must have a different meaning where you are If you are entering any sort of competition you need to check with the organisers-if you dont prep the car right you wont even get past the scrutineers. I'd have thought you would be looking at emergency battery cut off inside the car, roll bar and a proper fuel tank as a minimum. You may need a race licence and special insurance to drive. Can you post details of the circuit so we can see whats involved? Be interested to hear how you go on

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    You mean you are going to autocross in YOUR car?
    Yes
    If you are entering any sort of competition you need to check with the organisers
    Already did, they are ok with a street car entering

You may need a race licence
    I'm working on getting one

special insurance to drive.
    No insurance for the track whatsoever

Can you post details of the circuit so we can see whats involved? Be interested to hear how you go on
    Well, the one next weekend, a auto cross, is through BMW CCA. The race track I was last on was done through Track Daze at Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit. I had an instructor in the car with me, which helped a ton. It was a blast!
    More info here
    https://www.trackdaze.com/
    Last time I went I was the only e34
    Last edited by healtoeit; 04-19-2008 at 11:09 PM.

"Autocross" and what you linked to are two different things. Are you lapping around a circuit? That's HPDE or track day lapping. Autocross is single car at a time, timed competition, usually on a parking lot, with a temporary course marked by pylons. Very significant difference in terms of what is required and how you need to prep.

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

Tells you lots of good thing sto know for Autocrossing.
    Pat Washburn
    Wausau, WI
    1995 525iT

Bring some portable air, white shoe polish and a good tire pressure gauge. Use it to help monitor your tire rollover and thus your tire pressures.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Wow, I cant believe no one has mentioned it - Brake fluid, brake fluid, brake fluid!

Autox is not nearly as strenuous on the brakes as a lapping day is, but regardless, you want fresh brake fluid in the lines. Next behind that is plenty of brake pad front and rear and decent tires. Assuming you have all that, some things to bring with you:

Tire gauge + some way of modifying tire pressures (portable tank, portable compressor, knowing the track has a compressor, etc).

Car numbers? Blue painters tape is often used.

Spare tire + jack + lug wrench

Take out EVERYTHING from the car. When you actually go to run, you'll be suprised how big of a pile is next to your spot when you actually get the stuff taken out. Leave all of the things you can at home (floor mats, trunk carpet, e-pass, owners manuals/glovebox junk, ladies underwear, umbrellas (unless its going to rain that day), sunshades, etc.

Little of every extra fluid if you can fit it. Extra quart of oil, little extra coolant, pint of brake fluid. Top off all of your fluids before you leave, but your brake fluid will be perfect, because you just flushed it, right?

It helps immensely to have a friend go with you or make friends while your there to make sure things like torque wrenches, air compressors, or floor jacks don't meander off when you're not looking.

Thats everything I can think of for a beginner. Last advice is to try and do everything you can before you leave. I always think I'm going to be bored between runs and do all my work at the track, and I always end up not having enough time to do everything.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn
    "Autocross" and what you linked to are two different things. Are you lapping around a circuit?
    Quote Originally Posted by healoteit
    The race track I was last on was done through Track Daze at Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit. I had an instructor in the car with me, which helped a ton. It was a blast!
    More info here
    https://www.trackdaze.com/
    I was referring to a previous track event.
    No, I am not lapping around a circuit this time

Thankx for the link!
    Last edited by healtoeit; 04-22-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by healtoeit
    Thankx! a bunch for all the suggestions, yea my dad and I are going so we have enough room for a bunch of tools and what not.

Even if it is lucky?

it wasn't lucky for the lady

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast