GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: power steering pump adjustment

Default power steering pump adjustment

Hey guys, bought a 525i with the m20 engine other day as a non runner and the power steering wasn't working so i had a look under the bonnet and there is no power steering belt, so i tried to put a new belt on the power steering pulley and the pulley it is supposed to join onto, thing is i can't get the belt on at one end, if i put it on at the p.s pulley it ain't long enough to stretch to go onto the other pulley and vice versa, so i think i may need to adjust the power steering pulley by moving it down abit so the belt will be able to go on both pulleys, does anybody know how to adjust the power steering pump position?

thanks guys

Fraser

Loosen the pivot bolt(s?, it's been a while) and the nut for the adjuster. The adjuster is the one with the cog just behind the bolt head that rides in the "rack" on the bracket. Turning the adjustment bolt will move the pump.
    It's a clever design that works well provided someone who didn't look first hasn't ruined it.
    If the rack has been stripped already about all you can do is use the old pry bar to get it where you want it and tighten down the adjuster nut.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

+1... The PO had broken on of my adjusters (Tensioners BMW call them) so I just replaced it with the bolt with the spines on it... Really cheap fix. To find it get under the car and look around near where the belt goes... Keep looking... You'll see it eventually its right in front of you! The little nut on the cack should be a 13mm so loosen it and then trun the big 19mm nut until you have the pulley in the desired postion... Then tighten up the 13mm nut and your all good.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Thanks for the reply, Where is the pivot bolt(s) on this diagram? http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim...2/ill-32_0285/

thanks guys

Fraser