GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car wont start, is it the battery or altenator?

Default Car wont start, is it the battery or altenator?

I left the lights on in my car for about 5-6-7 hours, and now my car wont start. I was also low on gas, so I put some in. I tried jumping the car for about 10 minutes, but it didnt start. I took the cables off and tried to start the car without the cables, and it got worse. So thats why i was thinking it was the battery, BUT, my lights still work and my radio does too. Headlights as well. I did test #9 on my OBC, and it read 10.50, and decreased from there for as long as my car stayed on. What does this actually mean? Does it means my battery is dead or my alternator is broken? I haven't tried to jump the car while doing test #9. Should the voltage increase or would that make a difference? It's dark now, so I have to wait till morning to check, but I need a lil help.

your battery is kaput. check Autozone

Quote Originally Posted by Calico_NC
    I left the lights on in my car for about 5-6-7 hours, and now my car wont start. I was also low on gas, so I put some in. I tried jumping the car for about 10 minutes, but it didnt start. I took the cables off and tried to start the car without the cables, and it got worse. So thats why i was thinking it was the battery, BUT, my lights still work and my radio does too. Headlights as well. I did test #9 on my OBC, and it read 10.50, and decreased from there for as long as my car stayed on. What does this actually mean? Does it means my battery is dead or my alternator is broken? I haven't tried to jump the car while doing test #9. Should the voltage increase or would that make a difference? It's dark now, so I have to wait till morning to check, but I need a lil help.
    You should be reading at the very least 11.59 with test #9 on the obc, thats the minimum I started it with.

When you boosted the car with cables, was the other car running. Also, when running test #9 on the obc and the car has been started it should be reading 13.94 to 14.40

When trying to started, turn off ALL accesories that drain power, i.e. Radio, Lights, Heating

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god
    You should be reading at the very least 11.59 with test #9 on the obc, thats the minimum I started it with.

When you boosted the car with cables, was the other car running. Also, when running test #9 on the obc and the car has been started it should be reading 13.94 to 14.40

When trying to started, turn off ALL accesories that drain power, i.e. Radio, Lights, Heating
    Yeah the other car was running, how long do you think It should take to charge enough to start?

Yeah the other car was running, how long do you think It should take to charge enough to start?
    What kind of car did you boost from? Sometimes 1.6L 4 Cylinder batteries aren't enough for our 2.5L 6 Cylinder's

Well, I don't know the exact time to charge, but when you do attach the cables, enter test #9 and try to start when its around 12V.....

If your battery can't hold the charge of 12V for very long, then it's time to replace your battery.

You can start the car with the battery and then disconnect the battery, that's how you know the alternator is good because it's generating enough power to keep the engine running on its own.

Get a new battery, as some people have already mentioned.

My system keeps a steady 13.60 and when I do leave the lights on for around 40 minutes, it can reach 11.50, but I am still able to start the car.

1989 11/88, M30B35 175k-miles 535iM
    1988 04/87, M20B27 153k-miles 528e
    1987 01/87, M30B34 126k-miles L6
    Washington D.C

i recently got my battery about 1-1 1/2 years ago. I don't think it should be dead already should it. Anyway, i'll try again tomorrow, if it does the same, i'll no other choice.

BTW, I got a jump from a 1995 Maxima and a 1991 Acura Legend. I dont know what the cylinder numbers were.

i recently got my battery about 1-1 1/2 years ago. I don't think it should be dead already should it. Anyway, i'll try again tomorrow, if it does the same, i'll no other choice.

BTW, I got a jump from a 1995 Maxima and a 1991 Acura Legend. I dont know what the cylinder numbers were.
    6 CYL for both...

Batteries are usually good for about 3 years, HOWEVER, when you drain them till they're very low, they tend to lose a large portion of their charge.

You can always just buy the fluid that goes in the batteries, it's much cheaper and worth a try IMO.

Most batteries are maintenance free these days so you can't get in them to top up. My guess is that your battery is really flat and jumping it didn't provide enough power either because the battery is soo low, your leads were not good enough or they were not contacting properly. Maybe try again with a different set of leads and double check the contacts? This will probably get you going but once a battery goes flat its never the same again. Or you could try charging the battery over night if you can get your hands on a car battery charger, longer term though only a new one will sort you out. My battery would go flat if I didn't use the car for any more than 24hours so I was forever charging it, in the end I replaced the battery with a good bosch one and the difference was amazing, I think the one I pulled was the original BMW battery so it was 9 years old!
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Seems like you have two problems - wont start and low battery. Did your engine turn over properly when you jump started it? As you tried two cars my guess is not. In which case perhaps try heavy duty jump leads as Leicesterboy suggests. If you can see the electrolite in the battery and its cloudy the battery is probably past it. But if not I'd definitely put it on a trickle charge for about 12 hours as you may well be able to save it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast