GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: NE1 got a sneaky way to figure out which ABS sensor is bad?

Default NE1 got a sneaky way to figure out which ABS sensor is bad?

My Anti-Lock light has been coming on when the car is in motion. Does anyone know of an easy way to identify which wheel/sensor is causing the fault?

I know I should pull the wheels and rotors to see if there's any crud on the hub which would give the sensors a false reading, but was looking for a way out of pulling all 4 wheels/rotors.

Any ideas/experience would be appreciated.

Thx!
    Tim G.
    '91 535iM

Well Tim I think you about know the easiest way to start tracking the problem. I do not know for sure but I think that the speedo sensor on the differential has a part to play in the ABS game so while your there you might want to peek at them connections also.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

the speedo sensor is not part of the circuit, take a multi meter and ohm the sensors, looking for differences from side to side, then spin the wheel looking at the ac voltage looking for differences from side to side, the plugs for the rear sensors are just inside of the hole in the body, pull em out to get to them
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

This may not be any easier, but if you connect a DMM to the ABS controller end of the sensor cable, you should detect a low AC voltage (or frequency count, if you have a Fluke meter) when you spin the wheel. For rear wheels you'll have to jack it up and let it idle in gear.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by TimGinCentralNJ
    My Anti-Lock light has been coming on when the car is in motion. Does anyone know of an easy way to identify which wheel/sensor is causing the fault?

I know I should pull the wheels and rotors to see if there's any crud on the hub which would give the sensors a false reading, but was looking for a way out of pulling all 4 wheels/rotors.

Any ideas/experience would be appreciated.

Thx!
    Tim G.
    '91 535iM
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Default %&*$! I wish I could......

type with more then two fingers........beat me by 5 minutes.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the speedo sensor is not part of the circuit, take a multi meter and ohm the sensors, looking for differences from side to side, then spin the wheel looking at the ac voltage looking for differences from side to side, the plugs for the rear sensors are just inside of the hole in the body, pull em out to get to them
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Default We'll do - thank you all for the responses! Keep ya' posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    This may not be any easier, but if you connect a DMM to the ABS controller end of the sensor cable, you should detect a low AC voltage (or frequency count, if you have a Fluke meter) when you spin the wheel. For rear wheels you'll have to jack it up and let it idle in gear.

Paul Shovestul