GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Manual Radiator Vs: Auto Radiator?

if you use this, I think you can use an external oil cooler with the correct fitments for your tranny... I haven't tried it or anything, but I think its plausible..

If you do go ahead with an external oil cooler, make sure you check your tranny oil level afterwards...

You may lose some oil in the change over - and if the actual capacity of the cooler is different (IE it holds more or less oil internally while running) you may find your trans is running on low oil.

Default Manual Radiator Vs: Auto Radiator?

I need some quick help. A buddy of mine in my owner's group is parting out a car that has an aftermarket radiator for a 94' 530i with a 5 speed manual transmission. I want to purchase it and implant it into my 95' 540i with an automatic transmission, am I going to have any problems doing this?! According to the "RealOEM.com" website, those two have two different part numbers for the factory radiator, but essentially for the same engine. I know that the automatic transmission requires another cooling system that piggybacks the main radiator, but was wondering if it also has its own system incorporated into the actual main radiator too... like an "all in one" type system where it has lines for the main cooling and also cooling lines built in (that are totally separate from the regular cooling lines) in the radiator??

I'm getting a great deal on a complete aluminum radiator and I would really like to install this item in my 5er since it's much better than the ones with the plastic tanks and I'm thinking there is some way I can make this thing work in my car if it's not the right item at all and will take another piggyback system of some sorts for the transmission cooling system that I'll have to add on as somehow the radiator from the 530i (manual) is somehow incompatible with my 540i (automatic) for some odd reason?

Thanks a million for any input on the subject!

Regards,
    -Eric
    (OO ( )( ) OO)
    1995 BMW 540i
    Minneapolis Bimmer Group Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Triton540i
    I need some quick help. A buddy of mine in my owner's group is parting out a car that has an aftermarket radiator for a 94' 530i with a 5 speed manual transmission. I want to purchase it and implant it into my 95' 540i with an automatic transmission, am I going to have any problems doing this?! According to the "RealOEM.com" website, those two have two different part numbers for the factory radiator, but essentially for the same engine. I know that the automatic transmission requires another cooling system that piggybacks the main radiator, but was wondering if it also has its own system incorporated into the actual main radiator too... like an "all in one" type system where it has lines for the main cooling and also cooling lines built in (that are totally separate from the regular cooling lines) in the radiator??

I'm getting a great deal on a complete aluminum radiator and I would really like to install this item in my 5er since it's much better than the ones with the plastic tanks and I'm thinking there is some way I can make this thing work in my car if it's not the right item at all and will take another piggyback system of some sorts for the transmission cooling system that I'll have to add on as somehow the radiator from the 530i (manual) is somehow incompatible with my 540i (automatic) for some odd reason?

Thanks a million for any input on the subject!

Regards,
    -Eric
    The 540 uses only one radiator whether it is auto or 6 speed. I know beause I converted mine to 6 speed. The trans cooler is mounted just below the auto transmission with hoses routed to the rear of the engine for cooling. It does no rely on the front radiator for cooling.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

This is what I have on my car since I stripped the nuts on the hoses that come from the tranny.

I cut them, bent them, hose and clamps and and external oil cooler...works fine.

Use good clamps.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

One here,

There should be another one symmetric to that above i believe just behind the sheathed cable to the starter in here,

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Excellent feedback guys! I decided to grab it and it's practically in mint condition... just needs a tiny amount of cleaning. I was wondering if anybody knows or has a picture as to where the coolant drain plug is on the M60 engines... I plan to replace most if not all the hoses and flush the system out in preparation for new coolant.
    (OO ( )( ) OO)
    1995 BMW 540i
    Minneapolis Bimmer Group Founder