GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windshield trim question

Default windshield trim question

is this whole piece the $150- a side windshield trim (ie 1, 2 , & 3)?

anyone ever do anything really clever and cheap to replace it?

damn i am so cheap... thanks...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

sound right

Yes, 1,2 and 3 are one piece. I had a windscreen replaced on another E34 and the guy used a generic trim rubber that looks ok. I wouldn't do that on my favourite E34, but it does the job and doesn't look untidy.

Quote Originally Posted by myles
    Yes, 1,2 and 3 are one piece. I had a windscreen replaced on another E34 and the guy used a generic trim rubber that looks ok. I wouldn't do that on my favourite E34, but it does the job and doesn't look untidy.
    thanks myles, my guy isn't too keen on doing that anyway... don't blame him...

i am relieved that the whole thing is one piece, i was worried that the windshield i picked up at the wreckers was missing piece #1 or something.

this is weird tho... on realoem there are two parts listed, one before 09/88 and another for after. the car is 06/88 but i don't know about the 'new' windshield... will either work? can anyone spot the difference between the photo in the first post and the trim on their newer car, aside from the fact that yours isn't so trashed and filthy?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry I've not examined a car any earlier than my 11/88 535, though what can be seen in your photo does look the same as my car, but the underside may be different.

No, 1,2 and 3 are clearly different pieces. 1 being the clip that attatches to glass to retain the trim. 2 & 3 are the left and right trims and yes Virginia they are over $100 each side. The clip that covers the intersection is #4.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

correct Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    No, 1,2 and 3 are clearly different pieces. 1 being the clip that attatches to glass to retain the trim. 2 & 3 are the left and right trims and yes Virginia they are over $100 each side. The clip that covers the intersection is #4.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    correct Ross
    thanks guys ... err... that's not what i was trying to ask tho i think i made the question confusing with the 1,2,3s - myles got what i'm asking.

i want to know if i should order the trim to match the build date on my car (pre 09/88) or on the car that i have the w/s from (probably after 09/88), because it seems to have changed - i don't have a clue what the difference would be. the clips are the same... i'm guessing there's no difference but that's a $300 gamble if i get the wrong ones and as a result they bust during the install (indie is doing the job).

update:

so i bought the pre 9/88 trim and crossed my fingers. the parts-guy at the dealer wasn't sure but said he thought the difference was just a slight change in colour.
    anyway - it fits - phew.

the guy installing it (acually a guy my indie brings in for windshields) didn't want to put clips on an old ws in case it cracked
    (? - or because it would have taken longer?) so he just stuck it on with the urethane.

cost $120 labour + $80 for the black goop. + $100 ws + $300 2 trim pieces.

so the two plastic bits made up half the total cost of the whole job - nuts!

the ws is oem which is cool but has a stupid wiper arm scratch - i think it is fixable... i wanted to go oem as some people here have reported bad things about a/m glass
    (thanks ben - i was going to go to lebeau until you posted) but i didn't want to pay for bmw glass so i did ok i think.

i have left over a bag of 16 new clips, 8 or so good used ones i pulled off the old one (just in case some of the new ones broke) and a new center clip (dude used the old one)
    i think i can return them. the clips cost me $55! and the centre clip $17.
    but i'll give the used ones away if anyone wants them.... not sure exactly how many but probably enough to hold some used trim on.

If you ever need to change that glass again expect to once more buy the moldings. Once they are glued in place they are destroyed if you try to remove them.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast