GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 535i Maintenance

Default Fluids

Hi,

I tend to like Redline Oil products, particularly for the diff and gearbox. Check their website for the product listing.

As for the gearbox, these cars have two types of Getrags, some that use ATF and some that use gear oil. There should be a colored tag on the flange where the gearbox mates with the engine, visible from under the hood. It will be either green or orange and will state "ATF only" if it needs ATF. I used Redline D4ATF and the box seemed to love it. Otherwise, your dealer can check based on the VIN number.

Coolant - yes, definitely use the OEM stuff. Check the hoses as this might be a good time to replace them. Same goes for the radiator, particularly at the neck for the upper hose. They tend to snap off catastrophically at the worst possible time. The expansion tank also has a weak spot where the exit hose is. Inexpensive to replace the whole tank.

Regards,
    Adnan

the manual has a very comprehensive oil selection chart...
    Gone but not forgotten

Default First 535i Maintenance

Well, after buying the 535i, I plan on changing nearly all the fluids. The question is what to buy, and I would like to hear other people's opinions before I perform any car service.

Dif Oil: I've heard numerous things about this, but should I use 75W90?
    Engine Oil: This is where I get confused. The previous owner said he used 15W40, but what would be best suited for the Mid-Atlantic climate and rev-happy driving? It does get sub-zero in winter.
    Manual Transmission Lubrication: No Idea what to use...suggestions?
    Coolant: It has green in it right now, but I'm pretty sure I want BMW blue.
    Brake Fluid: Manual says all.

oh, and windshield washer fluid...

What did I miss?

P/S fluid wouldn't hurt if you're changing them all

Old car: 95 525i, OB/Silver, Eibachs, Style 66, Missed dearly!!
    VIN Decoder | Online ETK
    | E34 Bible

I'm worried more about what weights to use for oils. It's a manual transmission, and I don't know what to use for that. I guess all I need to know now is what type of Differential oil and engine oil to use.

I was aiming for redline, but is it truly worth changing over to synthetic with 170k miles?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixdown
    I'm worried more about what weights to use for oils. It's a manual transmission, and I don't know what to use for that. I guess all I need to know now is what type of Differential oil and engine oil to use.

I was aiming for redline, but is it truly worth changing over to synthetic with 170k miles?
    I've used 10w40 engine oil in mine since I've owned it and it runs perfectly. Mine's due a change actually, thats a job for next weekend I think.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Would 75W90 work for the dif?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixdown
    Now, is this obviously the thermostat or does something else also play a part in the overheating? Did the green coolant make things worse?
    Hey, I use green coolant from BMW and have hade no problems, but climates are different so I'm not sure...

If your thermostat is stuck shut, it will cause the car to overheat. Cheap and easy job to do if it is.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Well, something critical happened today, a day before I was planning to change the coolant from green to blue. I was driving through Wash DC as usual when I belatedly noticed that my engine was running in the red. The heat was radiating so much off of the hood in 70 degree weather. Does the M30 commonly have heat problems, especially considering that a humid summer is coming up?

Now, is this obviously the thermostat or does something else also play a part in the overheating? Did the green coolant make things worse?

Oh boy, here we go. Have good read of the threads regarding overheating and cross your fingers.
    All your fluid questions will be properly addressed in the owner's manual.
    **cures in a can don't work**, green coolant does fine if you change it on schedule, your engine like 20w-50 whenever it's warm to use it.
    Good luck with the new BM, hopefully your overheat will be a simple fix.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast