GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Ever repair a broken Heater valve wire?

Default Ever repair a broken Heater valve wire?

In spite of my best efforts I ended up breaking one of those minute wires to the valve in the Heater valve assembly when taking it apart to see if it was clogged and if i could clean it. It seemed perfectly clean everwhere but i broke one of the small wires coming from the power pins. They are extremely fine and very short . Has anyone ever repaired such a break? I have a soldering iron and solder but there's really no room to work with . Are they junk now?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

well it must be worth a shot....were they blocked???
    Gone but not forgotten

Have you got a photo? It sounds as if you're talking about solenoid wiring - if so then just solder it to the terminal - you might need some extra wire to bridge the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    well it must be worth a shot....were they blocked???
    If i try it i'll take pictures.. The thing i dread is breathing the lead fumes... I'm already damaged enough,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Have you got a photo? It sounds as if you're talking about solenoid wiring - if so then just solder it to the terminal - you might need some extra wire to bridge the gap.
    Yes the Solenoid wiring. Its under a little plastic cover at the base of the solenoids. I may give it a shot when I know I have enough time to give to it. It just looked like the wire was so fine I couldn't imagine a drop of solder adhering to it and also thought the wire itself might begin to melt. I might try taking a strand from some speaker cable i have and just replace the wire entirely

lead free solder is widely available.

I usually just time my breaths anyway, soldering such a small wire shouldn't produce too much byproduct.

I think it's about time for a photo! In the meantime, I suspect you'll be able to scrape of the insulation off the last few millimetres of the wire so that you've got a reasonable length to solder onto. On some types of wire, a (hot!) soldering iron will burn through the insulation. But don't breath in the fumes from the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I think it's about time for a photo! In the meantime, I suspect you'll be able to scrape of the insulation off the last few millimetres of the wire so that you've got a reasonable length to solder onto. On some types of wire, a (hot!) soldering iron will burn through the insulation. But don't breath in the fumes from the wire.
    The Unit is installed in the car. I don't have a spare. When i take it out again I'll snap pix. All the solenoid wires are bare. I think if i try soldering i'd have better luck removing the two halfs and soldering in an entire new wire.

Here's the pic of the wires if you've never seen them. I have to believe it was broken before beacuse..... I went ahead to the Dealership and bought a new part,installed it and PROBLEM 100% SOLVED!
    Last edited by Jehu; 04-10-2008 at 10:53 PM.

usually they break here where they go into the valve,
    plus more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images