GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bodyshop says non-M foglights don't work with M front bumper...what gives?

I have washers on my bumper, and let me warn you - they leak like a bastard. I eventually removed my pump for them and sealed off the tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by 525i winter driver
    when i had the front bumper off for some bodywork last fall i found out why my headlight washers don't work... somebody had jammed old spark plugs into the tubes! must have leaked like - the tank seems to be seperate it's just in front of the windscreen right in the middle (i think some models have a coolant tank here?) - that leaks like hell too... fortunately my regular wiper system works ok. i'm planning a major overhaul of that whole area this summer but haven't really done a proper investigation yet - sorry. i agree they look ultra-cool.

on my car, it's the same tank as the regular washers - there are 3 pumps in this tank, one for the windshield, one for the lights, one for the intensive wash.

Default Bodyshop says non-M foglights don't work with M front bumper...what gives?

I'm getting a used (in poorer shape than expected ) front M5 bumper painted.

The bodyshop said my current stock Hella projector fogs won't work with the M5 bumper, they think the M5 bumper needs special fogs. Has anyone been though this? Is there a trick to get them to work that the bodyshop is missing? I checked www.realoem.com (oddly, it didn't have a pictogram of the M bumper) and talked to Yves at BMA on the phone, he said they're the same fogs, same PN.

Also, the bumper is the Canadian model with the headlight washers. Does anyone have good spare washers? The nozzles are busted. I'm going to keep the washer assembly as I actually like the look.
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Denton
    I'm going to keep the washer assembly as I actually like the look.
    Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    I have washers on my bumper, and let me warn you - they leak like a bastard. I eventually removed my pump for them and sealed off the tubing.
    when i had the front bumper off for some bodywork last fall i found out why my headlight washers don't work... somebody had jammed old spark plugs into the tubes! must have leaked like - the tank seems to be seperate it's just in front of the windscreen right in the middle (i think some models have a coolant tank here?) - that leaks like hell too... fortunately my regular wiper system works ok. i'm planning a major overhaul of that whole area this summer but haven't really done a proper investigation yet - sorry. i agree they look ultra-cool.

I'm not planning on hooking them up then...it will just be tubing, etc. just sitting there. There's no way to eliminate them (cheaply) so they stay.

About the fog lights: What I'm worried is that the fogs were ripped/badly taken out of the bumper, breaking the brackets. Hopefully there's a way around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Denton
    About the fog lights: What I'm worried is that the fogs were ripped/badly taken out of the bumper, breaking the brackets. Hopefully there's a way around that.
    Would it be that they're trying to cover for their mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver
    Would it be that they're trying to cover for their mistake?
    Good thought but I don't think so.

Here's a quick rundown.
    I get hit by some guy. His insurance buys me a new bumper. Instead of getting a new OE bumper, I buy a used M5 bumper (the only one in the country advertised) through an auto salvage store.

This store said the bumper was in fine condition. I paid $375 for it.

Once at the body shop, the shop foreman (great guy, seriously) showed me where the bumper was cracked, how it had been hit and repaired before. He can work with it but it's nowhere close to optimal.

I haven't talked to the folks at the store I bought it from. I want to figure out what's wrong, then have a talk once I completely understand the problem.

RealOEM lists the foglights as the same on M & non-M applications.

And I don't recall any difference in fog between a friend's '93 M5 (M5 bumper), another friend's '95 525iT (regular bumper), and my M-Sport (M-Tech/M-Sport bumper).

Sounds more like your 'new' M5 bumper has a problem in the fog mounting area.

Did you get the bumper as a complete assembly? Like does it have the aluminum reinforcement, tow hook covers, and all of that other stuff?

Might be that you're missing a part of the bumper that the fogs mount to. I know that the bumper skin isn't the only thing different on the M5 bumper over the regular bumper. Lots of other parts are different too...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966

Sounds more like your 'new' M5 bumper has a problem in the fog mounting area.

Did you get the bumper as a complete assembly? Like does it have the aluminum reinforcement, tow hook covers, and all of that other stuff?

Might be that you're missing a part of the bumper that the fogs mount to. I know that the bumper skin isn't the only thing different on the M5 bumper over the regular bumper. Lots of other parts are different too...
    Damn, I didn't get the reinforcement...are they the same or different? My non-M reinforcement is still good.

I ordered the passenger side tow hook cover as well as the delete strip today.

I just need a list of all the things this bumper needs. Hopefully the reinforcements are the same, this will kill me if they're different.

I won't be too upset if the fogs have to wait to go in, but I really want this bumper put on.

I was asking about the reinforcement mostly to determine how complete you got the bumper. No, it's no different between the US M5 and US non-M5. But it's different than that used on the Euro models. How so I'm not sure.

Only one tow hook cover on the bumper? I've not tried taking them off the M5's bumper. But my M-Sport has two of those. The M-Sport also has integrated tow hooks, while the M5 has the screw-in hook.

Gotta say, the M-Sport continues to surprise me as to what's different between it and other E34's. The guys at the parts counter at the dealer also greatly enjoy looking things up for my car...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast