GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: engine heating once again

well I was thinking last night, and I wanted to throw my last card, I will take out the radiator to check it up if it still have blocked lines.
    how possible would it be to have some blocked water lines in the head or the block? does such a thing happen?

Never say never, but I doubt it

forgot to write that when the car is moving the heat starts to drop but it seems to be slower than before.

That basically points to a bad visco clutch.

is the pressure test using the meter on the spark plugs?
    yes, see here, very simple stuffhttp://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7828-.../dp/B00020BM28
    http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Compression-Testers

I have one of those testers, I have to bear the pain of testing it :S as changing the plugs was one hell of a job with the lack of space.

visco clutch is working fine without any doubts I did the news paper test, I aslo installed a new clutch when I installed the new pump.

I will do the compression test. but what will show me for sure that there is a leak?

how long should it hold the compression on the gauge?

Thanks

Just got my car a week ago, replaced the engine with a second hand clean dry engine, runs cool now, the old engine had a blown gasket, the labor cost for replacing the gasket is more expensive than a second hand engine. more over the pressure was low before.
    I have discovered why the previous engine blew its gasket too, the AC condencer is blocking the air from cooling the radiator, more over the radiator is an aftermarket too. Visco clutch is an after market too as the original is very expensive, so it works fine at normal temarature conditions but when it starts to get warmer seems that the after market visco clutch doesn't work efficiently like the original.
    one funny thing happened is that the car may warm up on idle in the night more than the day but if I turn off the AC the card cools down again, I can also notice the air pressure from the aux fan is returning back more than flowing into the radiator. so now I'm considering replacing the condencer with a newer version and if possible those with wider fins to allow the wind to flow through.
    any advice I can get about this?

Cheers

usually the condensers get a bit oily and clog with dirt. If you can pull the radiator spray the condenser with degreasing stuff and hose the thing out from the engine side. Same thing with the radiator. The clutch must be 100% especially in the heat where you are. Does the suxillary fan turn on with the ac? Does it turn on with the AC off when the engine gets hot?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

well been experimenting with Visco clutches in the past week, most of the after market Visco clutches plays games, the worst were KM auto technik and Trucktec, they didnt last for more than weeks to start leaking oil or not working at high temp.
    in my case I installed an original second hand one before I decide whats going wrong, its better somehow, still I can see that the AC is heating up the condencer to make the cooling less efficient. Aux fan works at both low speed and high, turns off with the AC off unless the fan was on high speed, then it stays on untill engine cools a little.
    some people recommended the 740 or 540 clutch, others were recommending the E34 535i aux fan, I will keep on looking to see whats going wrong, but wanted to ask you, have you driven ur car over 140 or 150?

Quote Originally Posted by grave77 View Post
    have you driven ur car over 140 or 150?
    No, jetted up to 135 and back down a couple times. Car gets there fast like a bike. No need to cruise at that speed on these roads, just not designed for it, curves not banked and straights without hills are few and far between.

Not sure about swapping clutches from other engines, did you run the part number on realoem to compare?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I didn't really check that, when I was at the scrapyard I was looking for those with 3 screws for mounting the fan and a big nut. thought about it, but been busy trying them on. i'll check that soon
    thanks

Default Here ya go!

You have a LOT of choices here.

Part Cross-reference
    Part 11527502804 (FAN COUPLING) was found on the following vehicles:

E31: Details on E31
    E31 840Ci COUPE
    E31 840i COUPE
    E31 850Ci COUPE
    E31 850CSi COUPE

E32: Details on E32
    E32 740i SEDAN
    E32 740iL SEDAN
    E32 750iL SEDAN

E34: Details on E34
    E34 530i TOURING
    E34 530i SEDAN
    E34 540i SEDAN

E38: Details on E38
    E38 740i SEDAN
    E38 740iL SEDAN
    E38 740iLP SEDAN
    E38 750iL SEDAN

E39: Details on E39
    E39 540i TOURING
    E39 540i SEDAN
    E39 540iP SEDAN
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

interesting, mine is ripped off an E39 530 double vanos, but I have noticed that the behaviour of the clutch on the 540 and 750 E39 and E38 is a little different than those on the smaller engine cars. I'll dig to get one off of those cars are the original is not available in the market !!

all should work fine as long as the blades have the same amount. The cooling ability is the same, when hot works harder, thats about it dude.

Quote Originally Posted by grave77 View Post
    interesting, mine is ripped off an E39 530 double vanos, but I have noticed that the behaviour of the clutch on the 540 and 750 E39 and E38 is a little different than those on the smaller engine cars. I'll dig to get one off of those cars are the original is not available in the market !!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast