GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: engine heating once again

I'd suggest a thermostat with 75 C Spring.

A thermostat with 75 C spring does not help much. What is does: it opens a bit earlier when a cold engine is started and comes up to operating temperature. The normal operating temperature of the M70 engine is anyway >75 C, so any available thermostat for the M70 is fully open anyway when operating temperature is reached.

I will restore back the 85C therm. today I ran the engine to fill the battery again since it was off for 2 weeks. I started to suspect that blocking the heater pipes is playing a big role in stopping the circulation in addition to the t-stat removal. I attached the realoem graph of the water cooling system. I blocked the hose with the circle around and the inputs of the heater core pipes. actually this is where it keeps exploding and popping out when it heats. hope this can get me somewhere closer to whats going wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ok, unblock the heater pipes & examine it, some times it causes overheating issues, perhaps it has made some resistance in the water circuit leading to high pressure.

I'd suggest one more thing, check all the hose clamps precisely & also check the thermostat cover & gasket. some time faulty clamps wont leak water until it reaches operating temperature.

Are you Bleeding all the air out of the system? Very important with these cars, Can you stop the fan with a Newspaper? If so bad fan clutch.

connect the 2 hoses together instead of blocking them.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

latest updates:
    connected the 2 hoses, water seems to flow better, I also replaced the water pump as the pump was a little loose and I wanted to make sure all the cooling system is working again, I also restored the 81C t-stat. while installing the pump I put the radiator on the floor and filled it with a cleanning fluid contains Acid, as the radiator was contaminated with calcium build ups.

I installed everything back and after 25min the engine heated up again reached 75% of the gauge.

then the input hose to the pump exploded, it was a little old, but I didnt expect to explode.

now as it seems that the engine head gaskets are blown, but if I wana change them I cannot do it in my home garage or what I mean to say is that its better to get the engine out, right?

I'm tending to install an M73 engine with its DME.

any advice here, the car been parking for 2 monthes.

taking to car to a mechanic to fix the heads will cost the same price of a good second hand engine.

Thanks alot guys I know I was a headache in this case.

If you really want to change the engine, stick with the M70. Too much work for you to change, check if fit etc.
    engine wire loom, ECU's, EML, does the transmission bell housing fit etc.

And before you change the engine, find a good shop which can test the old engine if really the headgaskets are blown. Pressure test, and so on.

well I was thinking last night, and I wanted to throw my last card, I will take out the radiator to check it up if it still have blocked lines.

how possible would it be to have some blocked water lines in the head or the block? does such a thing happen?

forgot to write that when the car is moving the heat starts to drop but it seems to be slower than before.

is the pressure test using the meter on the spark plugs?

Thanks again

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast