GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: m60 intake mod?

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    "8 square with a rounded bottom inserts into the intake passages"

Do you mean the fuel injectors? If not, have you got a photo?

I've head about these before... iirc they were an E39 feature...

Default m60 intake mod?

I am curious about the little do dongles inside the m60 intake manifold. While doing my intake gaskets, pcv plate, and throttle body gasket i noticed there are 8 square with a rounded bottom inserts into the intake passages. i took all of them out after i screwed up and knocked one loose. decided it was a waste of time to try and get it back in (after 20 min of screwing with them) i have a couple spare intake manifolds in my parts collection. i decided to take a couple pcv plates off and do some research. 4 of 6 had them completely taken out and 3 of 6 had the top styrofoam plate removed. these intakes are from a variety of m60 3.0 and 4.0 liter m60's of various maintenance. i noticed a significant difference in the way the car drove after the maintenance and "mod". what drawbacks can be expected from removing these intake directors. are they simply a way of limiting power?

"8 square with a rounded bottom inserts into the intake passages"

Do you mean the fuel injectors? If not, have you got a photo?

I've had my intake all apart a couple of times and I don't remember anything like that described. Or, I just don't understand.

R.
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

mine has the intake "BUGLES" one was floating around in there causing a miss. they perfectly match the intake venturis on my 530 to the intake venturi.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 04-07-2008 at 07:02 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Does it look like this?

Does it look like this?

Quote Originally Posted by chris_e34
    I am curious about the little do dongles inside the m60 intake manifold. While doing my intake gaskets, pcv plate, and throttle body gasket i noticed there are 8 square with a rounded bottom inserts into the intake passages. i took all of them out after i screwed up and knocked one loose. decided it was a waste of time to try and get it back in (after 20 min of screwing with them) i have a couple spare intake manifolds in my parts collection. i decided to take a couple pcv plates off and do some research. 4 of 6 had them completely taken out and 3 of 6 had the top styrofoam plate removed. these intakes are from a variety of m60 3.0 and 4.0 liter m60's of various maintenance. i noticed a significant difference in the way the car drove after the maintenance and "mod". what drawbacks can be expected from removing these intake directors. are they simply a way of limiting power?
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

the bottom circle shows where the individual inserts would go into, the top oval shows where the long styrofoam insert went. from the looks of it, it seems only a small portion of m60's had these inserts. i will try and get an actual photo of the inserts but it wont be until tomorrow as they are at the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My 530i had the inserts you are referring to. I don't know what their purpose is so they stayed in . Not sure if my 540i has them or not. I haven't had the misfortune of pulling the intake manifold off yet.

My 540 didn't have any inserts when I had the intake manifold out.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

My 540i intake didn't have any either (UK car)
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe