GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - My son is heading to Iraq tonight

hope he keeps safe.Whilst i have issues about why we westerners are there,and why the US and Britain ignored the rest of the worlds opinion on the timing of the invasion,there are two groups of people who now bear the brunt of the activities there.The families of the troops deployed(and the troops themselves) there,and most of all the Iraqi civilians caught up in this power struggle.Thousands upon thousands have been killed and wounded.I hope the matter can be resolved and soon.
    Gone but not forgotten

I am sorry dude. My gf's former roommates both did two tours in Afghanistan over the past 2 years (I'm Canadian). They both came back in one piece and I am sure your son will too.

Default OT - My son is heading to Iraq tonight

My 19 year old son is heading to Iraq tonight. He's been in the army for almost exactly 2 years, and is being deployed for the first time.

I am certainly nervous about it, but I know that he is smart, motivated, and well trained. I am also relieved that his mission should keep him away from the front lines, if there are such a thing in this war.

Brett's MOS is 45 Gulf, which is fire control repair, meaning that he was trained (for 6 months) to fix the fire control (target acquisition) systems on tanks and heavy artillery. Of course, despite the training he has spent most of his time fixing small arms, which is what he will be doing in Iraq.

If you read this far, thank you and keep Brett in your thoughts. I'll post some updates as I get them.
    - Hal

1995 325i 5-speed, 113K - Now

1984 325e 5-Speed, 2001 325i 5-Speed, 1995 530i 5-Speed, 1989 535iA, 1997 540i 6-Speed, 1990 535i 5-Speed, 1996 328is 5-Speed - Past

I will have him in my prayers and I will try to get him back early with my vote in November.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    Citing god and war in the same sentence simply highlights why the world is as ****ed as it is - RELIGION!!

how the hell does a non-sequitur like this get into a thread about wishing someone;s son safe passage?? have some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hlenoble
    My 19 year old son is heading to Iraq tonight. He's been in the army for almost exactly 2 years, and is being deployed for the first time.

I am certainly nervous about it, but I know that he is smart, motivated, and well trained. I am also relieved that his mission should keep him away from the front lines, if there are such a thing in this war.

Brett's MOS is 45 Gulf, which is fire control repair, meaning that he was trained (for 6 months) to fix the fire control (target acquisition) systems on tanks and heavy artillery. Of course, despite the training he has spent most of his time fixing small arms, which is what he will be doing in Iraq.

If you read this far, thank you and keep Brett in your thoughts. I'll post some updates as I get them.
    i hope he comes back safe... and i hope Brett's guns, tanks and heavy artillery do not harm any innocent people.

edit: gosh i read this and hope it doesn't come across badly, i don't think i'm alone in being extremely anxious about the state of the world these days... i just hope EVERYONE's ok, but that would be dreaming wouldn't it. nothing but the best wishes to you and your family.
    Last edited by 525i winter driver; 04-05-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hlenoble

I will add your son to my thoughts and prays, my son has been in Iraq since July of 07. My son Jonathan is in the Army 82nd Airborn. Our thoughts and prays go out to ALL the men and women who are so bravely fighting to protecting our freedom. God bless them all.............
    M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

We can all argue about the rights and wrongs of being in Iraq. But I'm sure everyone will agree in wishing your son well and hoping he stays safe.

Citing god and war in the same sentence simply highlights why the world is as ****ed as it is - RELIGION!!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Your son is certainly in our family's prayers. Arguing about whether we should be there or not doesn't help him or you, nor does judging religion to be the cause of man's problems. I won't go there. We teach our kids to respect our soldiers, police, etc., and your son certainly has our respect. Thanks so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast