GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unleaded or lead replacement fuel?

um no one in north america can buy leaded fuel at the pump outside of anairport.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Boy
    I never use anything less than Octane 99 on my car.... which is widely available here in the UK....

I havent had the chance to use our new Octane 102 as its only available in a few select stations at the moment...

remember, your octane ratings are different than ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Boy
    yeah I know yours is lower.. I couldn't imagine it!

Like Dave said - no, it's not lower. It's just measured differently.

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of isooctane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).

Default Unleaded or lead replacement fuel?

So the guy I bought my '92 525i from swears that the car can only run on LRP, but I filled up with unleaded 93 and the car runs fine.

What do you guys use?

I always fill with mid 89 or premium 91/93. I have not tried leaded 87 in my car nor do I intend to.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    um no one in north america can buy leaded fuel at the pump outside of anairport.
    Sure they can C16 @ the track BAM!

Quote Originally Posted by 525iZA
    So the guy I bought my '92 525i from swears that the car can only run on LRP, but I filled up with unleaded 93 and the car runs fine.

What do you guys use?
    My owners manual (stamped by a garage in Cresta, ZA) states:
    Super (premium) petrol containing lead to DIN 51600 standard, minimum octane 93 (research method).
    I never even looked until you asked the question I use bog standard unleaded and have no problems. LRP hasnt been around for years here

BMW recommends unleaded premium and I'm using unleaded premium for my 92 525ia here in Calif.

I never use anything less than Octane 99 on my car.... which is widely available here in the UK....

I havent had the chance to use our new Octane 102 as its only available in a few select stations at the moment...
    Craig

Riding in an M52 Avus E34 Sport... Hell yeah.

yeah I know yours is lower.. I couldn't imagine it!
    Craig

Riding in an M52 Avus E34 Sport... Hell yeah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast